Divergent by Veronica Roth This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Divergence.
Difference.
Uprising.

The first book in the series, Divergent is a breath of fresh air after the somewhat repetitive nature of fantasy novels these days. Based on a dystopian society where people are separated into factions not on the base of caste or religion, but on the basis of their predominant qualities, the book offers a thrill and excitement I personally have been craving after the end of Harry Potter.

Beautifully crafted and impeccably written, the most striking aspect of the book is how effortlessly it sets the mood, and how believable the concept of this society has been made.

The lead character, one sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior, takes us through this new world in the most exciting faction of all: The Dauntless faction, which comprised of those who had bravery as their predominant trait. Other factions include Abnegation (selflessness), Amity (peace), Candor (honesty) and Erudite (intelligence). These factions have a tentative peace between them, but there is a storm brewing of such potency that it could bring the whole system crashing around their ears.

The book is not only an adventurous fantasy but also probes the complexity of the human mind and emotions on every step - and in the process, also leads to some self-discovery on the part of the reader, purely through how we relate to different characters at different points of time.

And of course, there is a male lead that would make female hearts heart throb - the mysterious, strong and shadowy Four. Even his name is a mystery.

All in all, definitely a must-read.

MissJess said...
I agree with you. This book is amazing. it ties on my bookshelf first place with hunger games trilogy. i finished divergent an hour ago literaly. i heard on veronicas blog that summit is make it into a movie(summit also made twilight btw) and also the next book is predicted in 2012 i heard. Great review.

Chitra.I This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 26, 2011 at 7:57 am

I'm reading the third book of THG...yeah, it is pretty good, but personally I like Divergent better. 

And yeah, Summit is making a movie out of it.

And Insurgent is due in May 2012, yes.

Thank you. :)

SakshiJ said...
Aug. 24, 2011 at 6:56 am

can't WAIT to get started on this one! :)

and beautiful review, too! ;) :P <3

Aug. 24, 2011 at 6:58 am
Thanks! :D