The Last American Man by Elizabeth Gilbert | Teen Ink

The Last American Man by Elizabeth Gilbert

August 6, 2011
By ChristinaCanalizo PLATINUM, Ormond Beach, Florida
ChristinaCanalizo PLATINUM, Ormond Beach, Florida
24 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Many people are familiar with Elizabeth Gilbert’s memoir “Eat, Pray, Love”, but few are aware of the biography she wrote before it. This biography, “The Last American Man,” records the life of Eustace Conway, a man whose outlook on life is highly unconventional, and extremely interesting to read. Conway has studied first-hand the survival skills of primal societies, hiking miles into the wilderness to find these remote tribes, in an effort to reconnect with the land and help others reconnect with the cycles of nature. I particularly enjoyed Conway’s description of the modern life, stating “They wake up in the box of their bedroom, they get into a box with wheels and drive to work, which is just another big box broken up into cubicle boxes. They get their food from a box, they keep their clothing in a box, they live their lives in a box!” Anyone who reads this biography will begin questioning the modern lifestyle, the sacrifices we’ve made for convenience, and the perils of becoming disconnected with nature. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys learning about new ideas and viewpoints.