Last Chance For Paris by Sylvia Mcnicoll

They say not to judge a book by its cover, yet that’s exactly what I did when I first laid my eyes on Last Chance For Paris by Sylvia Mcnicoll. It’s a beautiful cover that explains most of the story in one picture: the woods, a river, flip flops, and a small strawberry tattoo. I was immediately intrigued and carried the book home from the library like a baby in my hands.
I began reading immediately. Sylvia Mcnicoll has a very descriptive writing style, for she describes the surroundings and setting more than thoughts and dialogue. Since this novel takes place in the woods, the surroundings are very important to capture correctly: a feat that Mcnicoll achieved wonderfully. It can also be noted that the pure wilderness of it all is so breathtakingly described that it makes me desire a camping trip.
Not only does Mcnicoll capture the setting, but she also adds quirky and fun features to each character. They aren’t all typical people. The main character Zanna—as if her name isn’t unique enough—is a potently city girl stuck inside a potently country-like world. The lost and abandoned feelings of Zanna can be easily related to from many angles. Though she is consistently complaining, she realizes the beautiful and fun, too. Like all humans, Zanna is a constant mash-up of emotions, not just one big block of annoyance.
Though the story only takes place over a few days, it is extremely eventful and exciting. Immediately upon arrival, a wolf pup is found under the porch, and he sticks around the family. Zanna and her twin brother sign up for a volunteer program with one of the forest rangers, twining themselves into loads of mischief along the way; the broody attitude of Zanna and the peppy mood of Martin clash hilariously to make them a fun set of twins.
Last Chance For Paris is a humorous twist on reality, family, and danger, and I recommend the novel to all readers who enjoy a stay-up-till-three-reading adventure.

CarrieAnn13 said...

Well, it that really is the book's author commenting down there, I can't say I approve.  You really shouldn't comment on reviews of your own work.

Moving on, great review!  It has just the right amount of summary and opinion and doesn't give away the ending. :)

The Author replied...

It really is the author.  We get Google alerts just like the rest of the world.  If you say you hate my book in a blog, then if I feel like checking that alert, I know your opinion as well.   I wouldn't comment on someone's dislike of my work.

In fact, I have never commented on a review before but honestly this one is well written not just positive.

What possible reason could there be for not commenting on it?

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Well, for one it seems unprofessional and a bit obsessive.  I'm not saying you are obsessive or unprofessional, it just looks that way.

The Author replied...

Artists are obsessive and I'm not really worried about "looking professional" at this stage of my career.  Professionally I'm often asked to comment on young writers' works.

Cheers.

The Author said...
Aug. 4, 2011 at 8:29 am

Obviously as the writer, I  like Kaylee Rae's positive opinion on my work.  But I would like to say, she is a great writer herself. Kaylee gives good detail to support her view in a articulate and engaging way.

More about the cover:  my husband Bob took the photo of our daughter who, no co-incidence, sports a strawberry tattoo.  Fiction does imitate real life. Our Jackapoo Mortie "talks" a lot like the wolf puppy Paris too.

Keep writing KayLee

KayleeRae replied...
Wow haha can't say I expected to be commented on by the author... Thanks bunches! And writing about experiences relatable to your own life... I can say I've been there haha