On Writing, A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I have never read a Stephen King book. I never really even thought of it before reading On Writing, in which the acclaimed horror novelist blends tales of his own childhood with helpful tips for any aspiring author.

Stephen King tells of his youth, not as a continuous tale, but as a series of events and images that shaped who he is and how he writes. Between shutting down power to the entire town with his older brother in an attempt to create a Super Duper Electromagnet, and meeting his future wife, Little Stevie manages to accrue a sizable stack of rejection letters and write his only attempt at satire – a newspaper article calling his high school principal “old cue ball.”

The middle section begins by explaining how writing is really just telepathy. His reasoning actually makes sense. (You'll have to read the book to understand though.) He also explains the tools needed to write well, his own personal methods, and other tidbits from inside the world of a very published author. He not only gives advice, but describes how he applies it to his own life and work. He gives examples of good writing and not-so-good writing.

The book closes with his story of getting hit by a van halfway through writing On Writing. He describes the struggle, both physical and mental, to continue with the craft he loves: writing.

I've never read a horror novel I liked. Well, I haven't really read all that many horror novels, to tell you the truth. But after reading Stephen King's On Writing, I think I will.

xelawriter97This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I loved this book so much! You really did it justice in this review!

EtherealThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I've never read one of his novels because I scare so easily :) but it is a great great review- It's written perfectly, and was easy to read, unlike a lot of reviews I think.

CarrieAnn13 said...
This definitely deserves the Editor's Choice Award!  I picked up this book in a bookstore, but I never bought it.  I guess I probably should have!  Anyway, excellent review. :)

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 2, 2011 at 1:02 am
I've actually read half this book--I'm almost done--and you definitely did a very good review on it. I love how you reference the horror novels; it adds your own personality to the review, which I think is very good. Well done with this! :)

julian This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow, I really want to read this book now! This was brilliantly written and insightful. And if you don't take my word for it, then I'm sure the editor's choice award will convince you that this is a really splendid piece of writing. Great job!