Filmmaking for Teens: Pulling off your shorts by Troy Lanier and Clay Nichols This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

First, let me say I love filmmaking. It's the greatest, hands down. For me, it is the ultimate art form, an accumulation of the craft and a creative outlet. Let me also say that I am a teenager on a budget – a very small one which is not ideal when you have big Hollywood dreams and want to be taken seriously.

The best way for me to start my career, I figured, was through education. So, I scoured the web for books
that might help. Nothing tech-heavy or too full of undecipherable jargon – I just wanted straightforward information. To my great amazement, I found something that was all that and more: Filmmaking for Teens: Pulling Off Your Shorts. This book is easy to understand, witty, motivational, and best of all, will get you on the way to making your first short.

Filmmaking for Teens walks you through the process of creating a five-minute film “from scratch to screen.” You might be thinking, Why would I want to read a how-to book? Well, remember when you said, “Anyone could write a better movie than that!”? Here's your chance. This book gives you a voice, the timeless voice of film.

Filmmaking for Teens tells you how to conceive, write, ­direct, edit and market that voice – and be taken seriously along the way. It demystifies the sometimes cloudy world of filmmaking. So, if you're looking to put your dreams and ideas on the big screen, or even just the TV in your family room, look no further.

Skipper 12 said...
Jul. 23, 2011 at 4:16 am:
Good review.  I liked it.

Noni3280 replied...
Dec. 22, 2011 at 4:35 am :
I really want to get this book now, My experience of making films includes barbie's and polly pockets and ocassionly my dog. (sissi) LOL. Me and my sister are always thinking of good storylines and this might be the perfect book to make them shine!

inspired bug said...
Jul. 20, 2011 at 5:27 pm:
I like this review.  It is focused and gets right to the point. Nicely done!

beatnik This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 2:07 am :
Many thanks, glad you liked it!