It Happened to Nancy | Teen Ink

It Happened to Nancy

June 4, 2008
By Anonymous

It Happened to Nancy, edited by Beatrice Sparks, is based on the diary of a 14 year old anonymous teenage girl whose love life, or what she thought was love, was destroyed.

It all began when Nancy was at her all time favorite music artist, Garth Brooks' concert and a fight broke out. She became separated from her crowd. After hyperventilating and freaking out completely, Collin comes to the rescue.
Collin, a handsome, young, 18 year old freshman in college sweeps Nancy off her feet. Weeks go by and Nancy becomes charmed by Collin and eventually falls under his spell.

Just like any other love struck teen, Nancy begins to build her life around Collin. By this point Collin has Nancy wrapped around his little finger and to Nancy, Collin doesn't want anything but good things for the both of them, or so she thinks.
Collin refers to himself as a “white knight” and makes Nancy feel loved and wanted. When Nancy realizes she has her house to herself, Collin is the first person who comes to mind.

She invites him over for a night she knew she would always remember but what she didn't know was it was the night that would change her life. The “dream boy” that Collin is makes dinner for the two of them, but this boy who she thought was the love of her life did the one thing every person dreads.

“I made Collin promise that he would leave at the stroke of midnight. I knew our grandfather clock wouldn't let him forget.”

“Collin mixed a little bottle of something in our wine cooler, and it kind of ruined the taste, but at this point I couldn't say or even think anything negative.”

Collin began to become touchy and less like the normal Collin Nancy was used to. She couldn't decide if she liked it or if it was too much.

“He pulled me down on the floor and explained to me about our relationship, how it had grown from a brother-sister type thing to a loving, respecting girl-boy thing.”
The clock strikes twelve and the night strikes horror.
“Collin dropped me down on my mother's soft flowered comforter and I fought back with all my might. Red neon thoughts flashed through my mind ... committing fornication on my mother's own bed.”
Nancy couldn't get the thought that Collin had raped her out of her mind. It seemed impossible that her “knight in shining amour” could do this to her.
She doesn't tell anyone about the tragic night and holds all her emotions inside spilling them out only in her diary. She begins to put herself down about the whole situation and questions her stupidity, wondering how she will ever overcome this.
Collin's actions make Nancy feel dirty and irresponsible, after, Nancy finds out Collin has lied about everything. She feels completely empty.
“Wednesday, June 13, I must have a bug or something because I'm so tired and worn out all the time. I seem to be always pushing.”
After weeks of on and off again sickness Nancy begins to notice something just isn't right. She goes to the hospital and has blood samples taken. The doctor tells Nancy the absolute one thing she couldn't bear.
“His mouth keeps moving but I can't hear words anymore.”
Nancy's worst nightmare has come to life.
It Happened to Nancy was a page turner throughout the entire book. The book would touch teenager's hearts and help teens who went through the same thing Nancy did. I encourage every teenager to read this book because it teaches a valuable lesson that could change one's life.