House of Dreams by Pauline Gedge This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Question: What were the three most dangerous things a woman in ancient Egypt could be?
Answer: Ambitious, intelligent and beautiful.

Thu, a girl from Aswat, a small hamlet in the south of Egypt, is all three of these things. She wants more than the few prospects Aswat offers her. When the great seer Hui makes a pilgrimage to the temple of Wepwawet (Aswat’s totem), Thu sees her opportunity to escape.

Rather than sending Thu away when she sneaks onto his barge, Hui takes her under his wing and trains her to become a healer. He did not do this out of mere kindness, however. Hui sees a great destiny for Thu and he schemes to achieve this by bringing her to heal Pharaoh Ramses III, who immediately places her in his harem. Thu soon becomes Pharaoh’s favourite concubine, a position fraught with danger that brings ‘House of Dreams’ to its tragic conclusion.

I stayed up until four in the morning to finish this breathtaking novel. Thu is not a sympathetic character, but she is so interesting that she commands your attention. The story of her rise to (and fall from) grace is one that is unforgettable. Pauline Gedge brings the enchanting era of the 19th Dynasty to life with her incredible knowledge of ancient Egypt and her compelling characters. ‘House of Dreams’ is a book I would highly recommend.

Steph0804 said...
I really want to read this! Unfortunately, my school library has no books by Pauline Gedge... I'm headed to the bookstore. Lovely review!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thanks!  I hope you enjoy it! :)

ItsAshMal This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

The length, style of this all made me interested in what you were saying. You seem to have a knack for knowing how much is too much and never surpassing it. 

I wish you wouldn't tell us it has a "tragic" conclusion though! It lessens my will to read the book. 

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Ah, but in my author's note I mentioned there's a sequel! ;)

JustAnotherOwl said...
I really like the way you started this review. It grabbed my attention right away. This was short and sweet, so it kept me interested, so great job! :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thank you!  I spent a lot of time on that opening line. :)

Love.Hate.Passion. said...
Awesome. You keep it sweet and simple and didn't give anything away. :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thank you! :)

Healing_Angel This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 12:21 am
I agree with gracegirl. I tend to spoil books for readers... :(

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thanks for commenting! :)

gracegirl29 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really like this review. The beginning drew my attention and the remainder of the review did a great job explaining key points of the novel without spoiling it for people who plan to read the book.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thank you!  I'm glad you like it. :)

inksplatteredfingerz said...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 9:36 am
you're review is short and sweet but it also catches the reader's attention. i like how you summarize the book enough to perk the reader's interest without giving everything away.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thank you!  I'm glad you liked it. :)

whitstar27 said...
I felt this report was really informative. It makes me want to read the book.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thanks for commenting!

musicispassion said...
u make my reviews look like they were written by a 2 year old good job and i can tell u like historical suff egyptian to:P good job

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thank you!  Yes, I've reviewed a lot of Egyptian novels, but I'm interested in other historical novels.  And other genres, especially fantasy and science fiction.

musicispassion replied...
r u into star wars i like paranormal, fiction, a little sci-fi and paranormal romance

CarrieAnn13 replied...
I never watched Star Wars; I'm not interested in that hard-core sci-fi.  Paranormal fantasy is okay too.  I like the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini.  My tastes can't really be put into one category. :)