Song of the Sparrow by Lisa Ann Sandell

I’m not going to start this review like any ordinary critique. To do so would turn the review into an analytical dissection of something so simple and beautiful. I intend to give Song of the Sparrow by Lisa Ann Sandell its due attention. Whenever I find a book comparable to The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne, I revere it as a true masterpiece.

The story takes place during the Middle Ages, but do not be scared away if historical fiction is not your preference. The plot is about the Arthurian character The Lady of Shalott, a timeless tale of classic themes such as loyalty, faith, and love. Elaine of Ascolot, the main character, tells her experience in a war through vivid poetry and beautiful syntax.

In the conclusion of Song of the Sparrow, I wanted to read much more than what was provided. Lisa leaves the perfect amount of thirst for the reader, anticipating more than what is given. As I’ve learned from any animator’s role model, a sequel would ruin the charm that is a masterpiece. Japanese anime master Hayao Miyazaki, “Japan’s Walt Disney,”once said that he would not make sequels to any of his movies, saying that any attempt would end up with a dry plot and disappointed fans. Will Song of the Sparrow be held to the same regards as Miyazaki’s films? Only time will tell.

Love.Hate.Passion. said...

Another great review!

I liked your book critique very much , because you were so eloquent with your words , and you gave such a good mix of opinion and book fact , whilst managing to keep the plot under wraps. Keep it up!

lunalovegood32 said...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 12:52 am
really loved this book. read in about 5 hours i couldnt stop. this review sums it up perfectly and makes me want to read it again

julian This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I like how you reviewed this book in a uniquely and original way. It flowed wonderfully, and it leaves me wanting more! Good job! 5-stars!

StaceyA said...
Jul. 12, 2011 at 10:27 am
You have a great eye for the fine details that bring a narrative to life. I liked the line, "Elaine Ascott, the main character, tells her experience through vivid poetry and beautiful syntax." Once again, a little bit more summarizing of the plot would help flesh this out. But again, the last line of your review is perfect. Keep up the good work!

NinaAA said...
I am going to go get this book now! You have an amazing talent of explaining the soul of a book

creativewritingismything said...
Because of this review i HAVE to go out and buy this book now!

Trilobite This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
I'm glad you found this review helpful!

Trilobite This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 11, 2011 at 11:27 am
Thanks!  I will be sure to add summaries to future reviews.

CarrieAnn13 said...
This review is much better than the other one.  You gave plenty of your opinion, but again, you didn't really summarize the plot.

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love historical fiction!!! I really really want to read this now. I didn't even know it existed. Thanks for a great review! :)

No problem, and I'm glad that you are going to read this!  It's a great book, you won't regret it. :D