Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Goose bumps are lining my arms as I write, and it's not because of the weather outside. I just finished Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater, a book that is on the right track, but may need minor adjustments to appeal to more people. Shiver's plot is focused on werewolves, a huge trend since Stephenie Meyer's hit series. The amount of mainstream content was almost enough to prevent me from reading it, but I persisted, given the five-star reviews the book has received.

Similar to books by Sarah Dessen, a mild teen romance drives this story, but I applaud Dessen for steering clear of the familiar Romeo and Juliet story line. Shiver is a redone version with werewolves as the stars. Still, Stiefvater's writing is a poetic masterpiece that captures every emotion of the characters. During the winter scenes, I literally had goose bumps. When a hot summer day was described, I was convinced that the sun had gotten closer to the Earth.

Fans of romantic fantasy will enjoy Shiver, but do not expect it to score a perfect ten in every category – just most.

alliperkins This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
today at 2:13 am:
I read this book a few months ago (and am rereading it), and I have to agree with you. While the story line is very interesting, I'm glad that you pointed out that not every part was wonderful. I loved how in the magazine, there ironically was a picture of a wolf directly right of your article. :)

Lillie M. said...
Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:49 am:
A little unsure about reading the book. But your review was spot-on. I like how you described both the good and bad aspects of it, and how you felt about the book. Comparing the book with other authors was a really good thing, too. It shows you've really put some thought into your piece, and the book. I might just read it, too.

Love.Hate.Passion. said...

Great review!

I loved how you compared it to other teen authors' works and how you gave your own opinion of it , as well as not giving away too much of the plot. Awesome work!

5*'s

Lanvin it shoes said...
Jul. 29, 2011 at 1:26 am:
wow-Lanvin it shoes

julian This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 18, 2011 at 6:22 pm:
I like how you point out the strengths and flaws of the content. It shows that you can really critique in a professional manner. Great job, and 5-stars!

StaceyA said...
Jul. 12, 2011 at 10:18 am:
Pretty good review -  I agree with some of the other comments about including some summary. My tip is to imagine you're writing for someone who has never read or even heard of the book and keep that in mind as you write so that you can include info from the book to justify your opinion. But overall good job. I especially liked your last sentence, it was clear and concise, a very good way to end a review :)

NinaAA said...
Jul. 11, 2011 at 1:35 pm:

This is a nice piece thats not too long. I love the length :) and the way you explain the book

creativewritingismythingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 11, 2011 at 12:36 pm:
I loved the book and i love this reiew! Great Work!

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 7, 2011 at 9:45 pm:
This is good, but I wouldn't say it's as good as your other review. However, I did enjoy it, and I agree with CarrieAnn13 about you having justifications for your opinions. I think it's important if you're going to convince someone to read (or not to read) a book. :)

TrilobiteThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 7, 2011 at 11:11 pm :
Thanks!  I'll be sure to work on summarizing then. :)

CarrieAnn13This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 7, 2011 at 7:30 pm:
This is a decent review.  You didn't really give a summary of the plot, but instead started picking apart things you did and didn't like.  You have great justifications for your opinions, though, which is a good thing.  Next time, try summarizing the plot (but without giving away too many plot twists and the ending).

Jul. 7, 2011 at 7:42 pm :
Thank you!  As a new reviewer, I appreciate your comment very much. :)

CarrieAnn13This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jul. 7, 2011 at 8:13 pm :
No problem.  I have no problems with summarizing, but I have problems with putting my opinion out there, so you unknowingly helped me!  Do you think you could check out one of my book reviews and comment on it?  Thanks in advance!

Jul. 7, 2011 at 11:11 pm :
I'll check it out, thanks again!