The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm by Nancy Farmer | Teen Ink

The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm by Nancy Farmer

What would you do if you were suddenly kidnapped and pulled into a web of chaos and fear? Would you face the danger of the crime filled streets and fight for freedom? That's exactly what happens to Tendai and his siblings in the wacky world of Zimbabwe in 2194; in The Ear, the eye, and the Arm by Nancy Farmer.

Their father, the great General Matsika has led an endless war against crime in the city. But Tendai, leaving the safety of home on a scout trip, is kidnapped by the very people his father has worked to destroy. Readers will follow Tendai, Kuda, and Rita on this journey to the slums of the city, the zombies of Dead Man's Vlei, to the Mystical city of Resthaven, and into the clutches of the infamous Masks. Where they may learn a deadly secret, which could lead to the destruction of Africa as they know it! Through this whole journey the detectives Ear, eye, and Arm are one step behind the kids; following them into danger and barely escaping it. This book was a fast paced mystery. It's action packed and filled with excitement. You will find yourself hurled into this funny dangerous world. In some parts of the story I felt like I was there with Tendai, facing the many dangers he is put up to.

This book has a strong theme of family, loyalty, and growing up. I recommend this book to anyone with a sense of humor and adventure. Even though the length of the book seems tedious, the pages will literally fly by. I really could not put this book down. It is a story that will stick with you and beg to be read again.