The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm by Nancy Farmer | Teen Ink

The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm by Nancy Farmer

May 6, 2008
By Anonymous

A thirteen-year-old boy named Tendai is really looking for a scouting badge; his quest ultimately leads him to the greatest adventure of his life.

Tendai, along with his brat sister, Rita, and his vertically challenged wild younger brother, Kuda, are the children of the strongest military ruler in Zimbabwe, General Matsika. These kids are cooped inside of their magnificent abode filled with gadgets from their 2142 lifestyle in Zimbabwe, for their father fears of them being kidnapped and held for ransom.

When Tendai goes with his siblings out into the real, massive capital city against their father's wishes, they get kidnapped by gangsters in clear daylight. When Matsika hears of this, he becomes greatly worried and hires a mutant detective agency; he hires the Ear, the Eye, and the Arm.

Ear, Eye, and Arm are freaks!!! They look weird and have superhuman abilities. Eye can see a flea gnawing on skin, Ear can hear a pin drop in the middle of a loud city, and Arm is psychic and seven feet tall. These genetically altered mutants go through a wild adventure following the dangerous paths of Tendai, Rita, and Kuda on this overwhelming journey.

Overall, Farmer creates a beautiful futuristic environment while still including the action and suspense the kids and Ear, Eye, and Arm face for everybody from twelve to fifteen. I could not get enough of the action and adventure that took place in this magnificent masterpiece that Nancy Farmer has created. I think it would be good if every adult reader should get a piece of The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm.