Number the Stars by Lois Lowry | Teen Ink

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

April 29, 2008
By Anonymous

I have always wondered how life was as a Jew in Demark in 1943. Well that is Ellen's life in the historical fiction book Number the Stars by Lois Lowry. The book takes place during WWII in Denmark. The year is 1943 and the Nazis are invading. Annemarie's best friend Ellen and her family are Jews. Annemarie and her family try to protect Ellen and other Jews trough out the book.

Annemarie and Ellen try to remember before the war when there were pink-frosted cupcakes. But now it is 1943 and the Nazis are invading. Ellen is a Jew and has to run from the Nazis. Annemarie's family tries to protect Jew including Ellen and her family. Annemarie does not know that she is brave and living in fear of the Nazis. Annemarie and her family risk there lives to protect the Jews.

The book is exiting because of the problem and the setting. The setting makes you feel like you are back in 1943. The books problem is so realistic because it is true. The real information makes the book even more realistic. Also the characters are so realistic.

This book is like the Underground Railroad because of the freedom and the escaping similarities. The freedom similarity is that both groups of people are seeking freedom from other people. The slaves are seeking freedom from the southerners and the Jews are seeking freedom for the Germans. The escaping similarity is that both groups are escaping and the other group does not know how. Jews are hidden on ships and the slaves are traveling by the dark.

This book has a quote that could teach others about being brave. The quote is by Uncle Henrik. He says “it is much easier to be brave if you do not know everything.” That quote means that it is much easier to be brave if you know less. Also the quote explains the theme.

The book number the stars has won the Newbery Medal. I would recommend the book to the ages 11-14 because it would be easier for them to understand the book. I would also recommend this book to people who like books about freedom and to people that like the historical fiction genre.