Slam! by Walter Dean Myers This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Walter Dean Myers brings you into the world of Harlem and the struggles of life with his Coretta Scott King Award-winning book, Slam!

Gregory “Slam” Harris is a talented basketball player with big dreams, but he has lots of obstacles to overcome. He also has many choices to make in his life. With the help of his girlfriend, Matisha, his teachers, and his family, Slam just might make it.

Slam lives for basketball and wants to play college ball, but his grades are slipping and his parents do not have enough money to send him to a good school. Although Slam thinks everyone is trying to bring him down, he is determined to show that he is capable of great achievements. Slam wants to prove to all that he can make something of himself and make them all proud. He wants people to know his name and what he is known for, which is basketball. Like Slam says, “Basketball is my life.”

Slam reminds me of myself when he finds out that if he doesn’t bring his grades up, he will have to stop playing basketball. I can relate to this because when my grades were slipping in school, my mother told me that if I didn’t improve soon, I wouldn’t be able to play either.

Myers shows the will power of a young man who will not give up on what he loves most. Slam learns that in order to get what he wants in life, he must let go of some things from his past, like some of his friends including his best friend, Ice, who deals drugs. Slam realizes that he wants to make it out of Harlem one day.

2yahoo.com said...
May 4, 2011 at 10:44 am:
this is a lammeee book

aaronsatyfly said...
May 4, 2011 at 10:35 am:
yo,this book is  the best book i eva read and i would lyk to shout out to walte dean meyers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mama replied...
Jun. 25, 2011 at 7:52 pm :
if this is a fiction book then u now its a real we have some veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy slow people like otg

firework96 said...
wow this site is cool... deleating my post when im just giving my opionion on this stupid book. seroisly this book is the worst book i have ever read there is no pont in it at all

Fyouhaterz replied...
Apr. 25, 2011 at 11:16 pm :
ur dumb the book is great changed the wat i looked at life n my self u dont know what a real book lookz like forealz..

firework96 replied...
Jun. 18, 2011 at 5:21 pm :
enlighten me.... how did this change your life? 

The nameless replied...
Dec. 5, 2011 at 11:56 am :
This book was pretty good but I think the author could have put in some better details.

chaniaajamez said...
Feb. 13, 2011 at 1:41 pm:
Omqee dhis is crazii...I jus finished readin this bookk nicee jobb

mjrocks said...

this book changed my life i see the world way different now! walter you saved me brother and i thank you for that everyone should read this book it will teach you how to live.

peace out,

G-dog

jrockrobertson replied...
Mar. 11, 2011 at 5:27 am :
It changed my life because i go through the same thing slam goes through

jallia replied...
Sept. 13, 2011 at 7:45 am :
yaall lamee this boook trashh

The nameless replied...
Dec. 5, 2011 at 11:57 am :
!!Troll face!!

jenetta10 said...
this book was very good.!

ferrari f40 said...
Nov. 16, 2010 at 11:12 am:
as much as i love basketball, i really like this book.it is a true 1st person point of view of what basketball is like and how you play it.

mikey23 replied...
Dec. 30, 2010 at 3:24 pm :
i agree with u :)

Jimmy101 said...
Nov. 16, 2010 at 11:02 am:
This book shows that even though you might be good at something you need to keep you grades up. Also, it teaches kids that you need to stay in school

Bre_Baby_97 said...
yo i got to read this book it seem so good man let me check out this book.....walter myers u have a gift man don't mess it up keep living it!!!!

Jackie_915 said...
I am reading this book for school but I need help what is Slams coach name?

sabortooth1 said...
Jul. 8, 2010 at 10:28 am:
Please read the book review of The Kite Runner.  Just search "The Kite Runner" and it is about the third green highlighted one.  Very Inspiring! Rate/Comment it

Mr. FlinStone said...
May 4, 2010 at 12:14 pm:

I read this book b4 n it is mad good im a well known kid that plays ball n chills wit all tha cool kids n none of us eva read n wen they see me reading they no tha book must be good because i neva read n i have to say this book is amazing........

Mr. FlinStone