Ana's Story by Jenna Bush This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Ana’s Story by Jenna Bush is a fresh insight into the life of a young woman victimized by HIV. This true story is told by Ana and her loved ones. The naked, harsh descriptions reveal her strength and capacity to love as well as her abuse and secrets. HIV numbers Ana’s days and so consequently each word may symbolize one of Ana’s costly breaths. Her medicine, or “dessert,” as Ana likes to call it, delays her inevitable fate. Yet many children with AIDS do not receive the medicine ­required to give them a chance. Each year, two million people die of AIDS around the world, with the vast majority in Africa. It is time for a change.

The story begins with Ana’s earliest memories and ends today. Each chapter represents an event in Ana’s life, either a scar or a kiss. The moving words and photos will educate readers and change their outlook about HIV/AIDS.

Ana experiences many hardships. She is born with HIV, and her mother dies when she is very young, with her father following. Both her parents were infected. Ana is abused by family members who struggle with poverty and take out their anger on her. Her story is filled with hurt and secrecy until she finds happiness. Ana realizes that being infected with HIV is not her fault and so learns forgiveness.

An important part of Ana’s story is falling in love with Berto, who also has HIV, and becoming pregnant. Bush explains Ana’s fear and joy at the prospect of having a child. Ana vows to save her baby from the pain she experienced as a child.

As Ana’s Story comes to an end, the reader wishes for a happy ending, and so it seems until you remember the millions of victims whose stories have gone untold. As long as this problem goes unsolved, there will be more stories like Ana’s. But anyone can make a difference, and an easy way to begin is to read this book. It will not only change your life, but will help others like Ana.

Kseniya O. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i read this book and it is definitely a must read! very touching and heartfelt

Valkyrie_123 said...
Jun. 15, 2009 at 3:15 am:
this book sounds inspring

SeaRose said...
May 27, 2009 at 2:01 am:
This sounds great!

jk777 said...
Feb. 9, 2009 at 5:06 am:
i love the book and i waiting on the secound one if there is one and i hope so