Miral by Rula Jebreal | Teen Ink

Miral by Rula Jebreal MAG

By booksmaya SILVER, San Leandro, California
booksmaya SILVER, San Leandro, California

"There is a way to be good again."

Miral, written by Rula ­Jebreal, explains the beginning of the Palestinian uprising in Israel where Jews had the most influence. This story, though fiction, has many actual facts that shed light on the Muslim religion and traditions. The story takes place during 1948 and talks about the many catastrophes children faced – the loss of family, starvation, and homelessness.

This book was definitely a good read for me because I am very interested in stories of coming-of-age Muslim girls trying to find their place in the world. Miral is smart, witty, fearless, and restless, all of which shape her into an avid protester.

This novel is in part based on the author's life prior to moving to Italy for college. This book focuses on Miral growing up in an all-girl orphanage founded by a woman who tried to shelter children during the beginning of the ­Israel-Palestine conflict.

This book is one of my favorites. I would recommend Miral to anyone who enjoys reading about politics and history. This book does a splendid job explaining the characters and their fight for their nation's rights, as well as their own.

A true book about the cost of justice.