Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin

Something Borrowed, written by Emily Giffin, explains the story of Rachel and Darcy, perfect best friends. Rachel and Darcy, who both grew up in Indiana, move to New York to start their lives. As Rachel goes to law school at NYU, she meets Dex, the perfect guy, but when he meets Darcy, they form a relationship, which crushes Rachel. When Darcy gets engaged to Dexter, Rachel seems genuinely happy for them, but in fact has fallen madly in love with Dex. The story continues to address the theme of friendship and the difficult decision that is faced when the only ultimatum is choosing between friends and love. I thought this book had a comforting feel, which made it both sentimental and witty.

Reading Something Borrowed was quite lovely. Emily Giffin, the author, was actually a lawyer before settling into writing. When I first read her biography on the back of the book, the first thing that came to my head was the word oxymoron. Her writing style is so humorous with such a clever tone of amusement and practicality, which I thought was a bit surprising due to her former profession. However, after a while, I began to think at what a versatile author she is. Even though, she is an accomplished lawyer and New York Times Best Seller, she writes with such simplicity showing the real and true realities of friendship. I do not want to give away the whole premise of the novel, but the interest level of this book was definitely satisfying.

When I was reading the book, one of my favorite qualities was the dynamics between all of the characters. The plot line of the novel is sentimental because it explains the story of two best friends who have known each other for the last 25 years through thick and thin and now have to face the obstacle, which may in fact end that very friendship. Through reading this book, I learned a lot about friendship and whether or not love is worth the loss of it.

In the end, I would like to recommend this book to people looking for a feel-good book that describes friendships, love, and everything in between. I really enjoyed reading this novel because of its story telling quality of explaining if who we are is actually who we want to be in the end.

Cynthia S. said...
Jul. 1, 2011 at 10:07 pm:
I read this book a while back and though I enjoyed the writing style, I really detested all of the characters... They all had such selfishness (albeit on different levels) that I just couldn't find them likable at all. It was a well-written review, though, and it's interesting to see a different perspective on the book. (:

LolipopsnGinger said...
Jun. 23, 2011 at 11:36 am:
I read this book and the rest fo te series and i LOVED it !!!