The Twelfth Transforming by Pauline Gedge

Murder, intrigue and sex…welcome to the enchanting world of Egypt’s 18th Dynasty. ‘The Twelfth Transforming’ follows the end of Pharaoh Amunhotep III’s reign and the rise of his son, Amunhotep IV, who history knows as Akhenaten. The majority of this book is told from the point of view of Empress Tiye, the wife of Amunhotep III and mother of Akhenaten.

After the death of Amunhotep, Akhenaten is declared Pharaoh. Two of the three main women in his life are vying for the title of Empress, causing strife in the palace. The famous Nefertiti and Akhenaten’s sister-wife Sitamun are locked in a struggle for power, one that ends with Sitamun’s murder. But instead of declaring Nefertiti Empress, Akhenaten does the unthinkable—he marries Tiye, his mother. Tiye is once again declared Empress, but because she broke one of the declarations of Ma’at (“Hail Tututef, I have not committed sodomy, I have not turned back the generative power”) by marrying her own son, she unleashed a curse upon the entire dynasty. This curse would wipe out Tiye, Akhenaten and all of their descendents.

Pauline Gedge manages to handle all this incest very delicately and tries not to disgust her readers too much. Only a writer of her caliber could pull off such a feat. Her descriptions of ancient Egypt are vivid and she breathes life into people who have been dead for thousands of years. ‘The Twelfth Transforming’ is an amazing book, but it is definitely not for sensitive readers.

musicispassion said...
great review i don't want to be rude but u should try reviewing something other than history but that's my opinion and u don't have to listen to me :P

CarrieAnn13 replied...
I'm working on some other reviews, don't worry.  I just have to re-read those books.  And yes, they'll be fantasy rather than history.

NinjaGirl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Interesting review, yet again! You are very articulate and descriptive without boring readers.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thanks, NinjaGirl! :)

lilmartz This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 10:05 am
This is a good review! Even I was intrigued by it.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thanks! :)

FizzingWhizbees27 said...
Great job! Well written and articulated!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thanks for the comment!

JoPepper said...
Very good it seems like a very interesting book! :D

CarrieAnn13 replied...
It's anything but boring in my opinion! :)

Tink1350 said...
is novel seems really interesting Carrie, (And the reason i know your name is you told me, dont think i'm a creeper. lol.) And your ewally good at writing book reviews.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
That's okay, I know you're not a creeper. :)  Thanks for the comment, Tink 1350!

Tink1350 replied...
no problem! and i plan 2 read all ur work. :)

Zinaidia replied...
Very good review, I have heard of this book before but I never thought about reading it. It seems interesting! Also, you don't have any grammar or spelling errors that I could find. Bravo!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thank you!  You should really read it, it's an excellent book. :)