Sahara by Clive Cussler

The action packed tale of Dirk Pitt and his adventures in the Sahara Desert will keep you glued to Sahara until the very end. A female scientist is almost murdered, and nobody knows why someone would attack someone investigating a terrible disease in Africa.
The plot thickens when an overactive algae in the Niger River starts to imbibe up the Earth's oxygen. There aren't many days before there isn't any oxygen left, and its up to Dirk and his team of NUMA specialists to halt the malicious dictator causing it all before it is too late, and, along the way, find a long lost ironclad of the Civil War.

Clive Cussler has an amazing ability to create tales of heroism and cunning. When there is a situation where it seems all hope is lost, Dirk finds an amazing and, most of the time, stylish escape. The way Cussler gives small details a little bit at a time keeps the suspense and keeps the story moving forward, forcing you to read the next chapter to find out what happens next. I highly recommend anything in Cussler's bibliography.