Hoops by Walter Dean Myers

I had never really liked reading, and I thought it was a waste of time. But when my teacher told me to go to the library and find a book, I looked for one that I was actually interested in. I love basketball, so I picked out a basketball book, and it was called “Hoops” by Walter Dean Myers. It is an incredible story, and I highly recommend it to anyone who loves basketball, and overcoming obstacles.

This story is about a High school ball player named Lonnie. He is an amazing basketball player; and dreams of playing basketball in college someday, and of course in the National Basketball Association (N.B.A.)

Lonnie lives in Harlem, NY, and is struggling through poverty, and other struggles. He doubts his new couch, Cal, and doesn't think that he'll be there for his new team. He soon realizes what the man has done in his past, and can completely connect with him. Cal soon becomes a huge impact on Lonnie, and they face many challenges. It is an amazing novel, and I really suggest everyone to read it.

This book makes me think about how hard it would be to grow up in a rough city. I have realized that basketball is a great way to escape the struggles us humans face. I have learned a lot from this book, and I think that anyone who reads it will too.

I am now reading more Walter Dean Myers books, and he has became my favorite author. A lot of his books are about growing up in Harlem, just like he once did. From this story, you will learn that the people around you really affect who you are, and how much it helps to have the support of family and friends in your life. I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did.

cmac123abc said...
May 31, 2011 at 7:42 pm:
this book seems like it sucks and I will never read it

BRiiE_BABii replied...
Jun. 7, 2011 at 10:54 am :
You have no life....to me it seems that this is a good book you might have a better life if you sit down and read the book.....!!!!

CHILL 5 said...
Well Diss Joint is Touqhh iRedd Daa Book, Homiee Dis Dat Real Stuff.. :D

WV7PR96 said...
Feb. 11, 2011 at 11:02 am:
This is a very good book.

SNIP3RxKiLL3RX said...
Jan. 24, 2011 at 12:05 am:
This is a bad review

mkellars This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

I'm a Bellinghamster too!

Just wanted to say that, now I'll go read the review.

Honey-Combs said...
This book sounds very interesting. I never read it but I need to. Kind of a school summer reading book but, I never read it...Everyone I knew told me it was interesting but, I had to see for myself.

ogood said...
May 4, 2010 at 2:41 pm:

great book i want to read it the summary sound very interesting .

.

Black-king96 said...
May 4, 2010 at 2:45 am:
i really like this book review. i really want to read this book but i dont know where to get it... -_-

silky smooth1 replied...
Jun. 25, 2010 at 4:07 pm :
look at your near by library .....or maybe a book store......the book is amazing i am reading it now

luvsoftbal11! said...

I really want to read this book!LOL!

and i hate reading!

BasketballChick5 said...
Mar. 21, 2010 at 12:39 am:
I really want to read it.! Every book i have to do i report on its always deasl with basketball!!!I LOVE BASKETBALL ITS MY PASSION!!! lOL SO its kinda like me but fo rthe WNBA (womens national basketball assiociation)

MelJo replied...
Apr. 12, 2010 at 10:20 am :
How long did it take you to write this book?

Benson Z. said...
Sept. 26, 2009 at 8:33 am:
Your comments are very intresting and i feel like reading this book

haltman14 replied...
Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:39 am :
I don't like reading either. good review

BabyGurl341 replied...
Jan. 29, 2010 at 10:07 am :
I love this book..im still readin it.its nice...but dah begining is crazii

blade replied...
Jan. 29, 2010 at 1:12 pm :
what year is the book taking place

raw man#3 replied...
Jan. 30, 2010 at 5:37 pm :
man this book assume it kind of relates to my life.

"cinco cinco" replied...
Dec. 13, 2010 at 5:41 pm :
This book sounds very interesting im going to get this book. I also love basketball.