Hoops by Walter Dean Myers | Teen Ink

Hoops by Walter Dean Myers

I had never really liked reading, and I thought it was a waste of time. But when my teacher told me to go to the library and find a book, I looked for one that I was actually interested in. I love basketball, so I picked out a basketball book, and it was called “Hoops” by Walter Dean Myers. It is an incredible story, and I highly recommend it to anyone who loves basketball, and overcoming obstacles.

This story is about a High school ball player named Lonnie. He is an amazing basketball player; and dreams of playing basketball in college someday, and of course in the National Basketball Association (N.B.A.)

Lonnie lives in Harlem, NY, and is struggling through poverty, and other struggles. He doubts his new couch, Cal, and doesn't think that he'll be there for his new team. He soon realizes what the man has done in his past, and can completely connect with him. Cal soon becomes a huge impact on Lonnie, and they face many challenges. It is an amazing novel, and I really suggest everyone to read it.

This book makes me think about how hard it would be to grow up in a rough city. I have realized that basketball is a great way to escape the struggles us humans face. I have learned a lot from this book, and I think that anyone who reads it will too.

I am now reading more Walter Dean Myers books, and he has became my favorite author. A lot of his books are about growing up in Harlem, just like he once did. From this story, you will learn that the people around you really affect who you are, and how much it helps to have the support of family and friends in your life. I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did.

mikey123 said...
on Mar. 3 2015 at 6:04 pm
it as a great book and very enjoyable it reminds me of my childhood.

TG3_ Ballout said...
on Sep. 11 2014 at 7:21 pm
were can u get the book from

goku45 said...
on Sep. 27 2012 at 8:10 am
goku45, Fairfield, Connecticut

win

i have not rea this book yet how is it people ?????

on Aug. 17 2012 at 10:01 am
All people deserve good life and loan or consolidation loan can make it better. Because freedom is based on money.

S. said...
on Aug. 16 2012 at 2:24 pm
Awesome book review! I have always liked playing and watching basketball so this seems like a book for me!

Sweetie said...
on Jan. 11 2012 at 11:54 pm
I loved this book. I started reading and couldn't put it down. This game of basketball great comparison to life. Remember, you must always work to improve yourself because there is always someone working hard to challenge you. Life is a series of challenges that we must all endure. Face them and win!!!

Sammie• said...
on Nov. 27 2011 at 5:56 pm
U read this book in middle school. Actually, everyone of by classmates read it. When we was reading it we had many class discussion and many response was that this book teaches us how to believe in yourself and that life is struggle but you can over come anything and accomplish our life goals.

imboredok said...
on Oct. 30 2011 at 1:49 am
story trails suck :( hate reading, dont mind basketball. LOVE this book!

on Oct. 25 2011 at 8:18 pm
Does the boy really die?

sdfasdfasdf said...
on Oct. 17 2011 at 6:03 pm

y uz bez diggin

on Oct. 14 2011 at 6:19 pm

Dude, people! This is not homework help!

What, the book? It's a novel. You shouldn't have expected a hundred pages or less.

on Oct. 14 2011 at 12:30 pm
at least to read

kutie kakes said...
on Oct. 14 2011 at 12:30 pm
THIE IS WAYYYYY TO LONG SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!

on Oct. 14 2011 at 12:02 pm
I Have To Do 5 Artifacts To !!!

soldout said...
on Aug. 31 2011 at 4:49 pm
i can't believe u would write that. i think yu need to go to the forums or something because there's a reason people comment and it's NOT for homework help. by the way, i think this review makes me want to read Hoops. thanks for the interesting review!

shauna said...
on Aug. 18 2011 at 8:28 am

I cant finish the book itss sooooooooo boring ineed to do a Five artifact project about it does anyone have any ideal artifacts for this book.??

Hoops man said...
on Aug. 17 2011 at 7:22 am
i love this book but i was issed off when cal die -_- makes me mad n i just finished it n i hate to read if it wasnt 4 ma ro would have never pic dis book up

justin ownz said...
on Jun. 29 2011 at 9:05 pm
I read the book. It was amazin how everything came togetther at the end

lazz said...
on Jun. 20 2011 at 10:13 am
i read the book in jail, haha, im only 15 nd im not a reader but when yu in there bored youll do anythang and i picked hoops to read nd its a good book. havent finished tho.. i got out early....aha

on Jun. 19 2011 at 10:00 pm
wow ur story was amazing, iit capture my attention from the start, because  i don't like reading books to. lol