The Twice Born by Pauline Gedge

The Twice Born by Pauline Gedge follows the story of Huy, a young boy in ancient Egypt who is about to be sent off to school to learn to be a scribe. His parents could not afford school, but his rich uncle has paid for his education. At school, his easy success stirs up jealousy and ill wishes from his fellow pupils. He is killed because of a vicious attack by Sennefer, a boy who has bullied him since he came to school eight years ago.

But, Huy is resurrected by the gods and is tasked with deciphering the Book of Thoth, a book about the creation of the world. He is also given the powers of a Seer and his fame spreads, attracting the attention of Pharaoh Amunhotep. Before his campaign in Rethennu, Pharaoh Amunhotep consults Huy to see his fate. When Huy’s prediction is proved correct, he is pulled into a world of luxury that he never even dreamed of entering.

Huy, son of Hapu would become a man of legend, feared and worshipped throughout Egypt.

The Twice Born isn’t an action-packed thriller, but it is an interesting novel. Huy, son of Hapu was a real historical figure, although next to nothing is known about his younger years. Pauline Gedge has filled in that gap with a very plausible explanation. Gedge hooks her reader from the very first sentence and sucks them into the amazing world that was ancient Egypt. The cliffhanger ending will leave readers anxious for the next volume in The King’s Man trilogy, Seer of Egypt.

tinytechie said...
really good summary and this review really gave me good advice on the book. i think you did a great job with commenting on it, especially since you said it was slow moving.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
May 3, 2012 at 12:19 am
Thank you! :) 

Lillie M. said...
Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:07 am
I've seen your username around the website a lot, and you're a really good writer! I was just trolling the reviews section looking for a few good books to read, and The Twice Born is definitely on that list. Finally some historical fiction about Ancient Egypt that doesn't seem predictable. Thanks for writing this :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thanks for commenting! :) I hope you enjoy The Twice Born.

whitstar27 said...
I think this was good, because it succeeded at making the book seem interesting.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thanks!  And the book is interesting. :)

musicispassion said...
once again good review this book sounds more interesting no offense what is a scribe?

CarrieAnn13 replied...

A scribe was someone who wrote down things for a rich noble.

Thanks for commenting!

Anerio_Deorma said...
I know absolutely nothing about this author or series, but your review was exellent overall, I like the fact that you included the part about how Huy DID Exist. This tells me you diddn't just copy the back of the book. I really hate people that do that and say "OMG YAH IM LIKE SUCH A GOOD WRITER!"

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thanks for commenting!  I was intrigued by the author's note that Huy was a real historical character and I did some research to find out it was true!  I really did love this book. :)

NinjaGirl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I think we all knew this would be a great review, coming from you, so I'm just going to ask if you plan on writing some fiction for the site? If you did I'd definitely read it!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aw, thanks NinjaGirl!  Yeah, I'm going to write some more fiction.  I'm actually working on something right now.  Look for it in the forums in the next few days. :)

NinjaGirl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
I'm excited to read it! I already know it'll be great! :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aw, thanks NinjaGirl!

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I don't know if this review was as good as some of your others, but the book definitely sounds interesting!!! :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 6, 2011 at 12:07 am
Thanks!  I know this isn't my best review, but I don't think it's my worst.  Anyway, thanks for the feedback!

Eno-Bladz said...
Jun. 29, 2011 at 11:49 am
your reveiw sounds great i think i'll read the series.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 29, 2011 at 11:57 am
Thanks, Eno-Bladz!  I hope you enjoy it.

FizzingWhizbees27 said...
Nice review! Shows opinion and has a short summary. Well done.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thanks for the comment!