Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare | Teen Ink

Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare

By elisecolette BRONZE, Park Ridge, Illinois
elisecolette BRONZE, Park Ridge, Illinois

when Life gives you lemons, squirt them in Life's eye, and see how much Life likes lemons then.

Many people would say Romeo and Juliet is the greatest love story ever written. It has become one of the most read and adapted story ever written and is the most popular of Shakespeare's plays. Sure it has romance, danger, and a pair of star-crossed lovers, but are they really in love. Although on the surface Romeo and Juliet seem to be in love, but there are many inconsistencies For example, Juliet is only thirteen. How does she even know what love is? And Romeo was just in love with Rosaline. How does he go from moping over Rosaline to in love with Juliet so quickly. Also, they've known each other for only a day when they decide to get married. That seems a little rushed. Romeo and Juliet can't possibly be in love.

Juliet is a young girl of thirteen. She has obviously never been in love. So naturally when a handsome young man falls for her and flatters her with attention, she is bound to fall for him. But is it real love or a young girl's crush? She obviously has some feelings for Romeo. She definitely likes him, but love might be to strong a word. Juliet is young and impressionable But she is thirteen. Many thirteen girls will say they are in love with a boy in their class, a TV star, or Justin Bieber, but do they seriously love them. No. They have a crush. And that's what Juliet has for Romeo. And it would have stayed that way if it wasn't for Romeo returning the feelings.

At the beginning of the play, Romeo had been going on and on about how much he loves Rosaline. How does it go so quickly from her to Juliet? Romeo seems a little fickle. If Romeo and Juliet had lived, how long would it have been before another girl caught Romeo's eye and he left Juliet for her. That's not true love. True love is when you love one person and only that one person. When she's the one you want to be with for the rest of your life. Juliet seems to be Romeo's rebound girl. And it seems unfair for Romeo to lead Juliet on. Sure Romeo might believe he truly is in love with Juliet, but it seems he felt the same way about Juliet. It also seems that Romeo is into Juliet purely for the reason that she has feelings for him to. And if love is based on that fact along, its not truly love.

Also, one can not overlook the fact that Romeo and Juliet have known each other for only a day before they decide to get married. That is pretty rushed. One day is not long enough to get to know someone, to find out if you love each other, to find out if you work together. They had two conversations before they decide to get married. There is no way possible two people can fall in love in such a short time span. Love takes time to develop and Romeo and Juliet just haven't had that much time.

There is no way Romeo and Juliet can be in love. Juliet is much too young to even know what love is. Romeo is just getting over Rosaline so there is no way he can fall for Juliet so quickly. And there is no way possible two people can fall in love in the time-span of a day. Romeo and Juliet need a lot more time for their love.

I was reading Romeo and Juliet and it seemed strange to me that Romeo and Juliet fall in love that quickly. Here's why I think it's impossible.

Sarah said...

I think your article is great but here are some pointers:

-this is just a fictional story so maybe that's why they have known each other only a day before getting married (think about how long Shakespeare's work would have been if he had to describe 2  years!!)

-if she was thirteen it doesn't mean that she doesn't know what love means (you've loved your parents or a friend perhaps haven't you? what's the difference between that and romantic love, if she is capable of that, she is also camable of loving Romeo)

Overall great article!

ZeeBYoung BRONZE, Coatesville, Pennsylvania

Don't judge a person until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. :)

I agree with this so much. I personally despise Romeo and Juliet. There the original Edward and Bella, but Romeo and Juliet are even more irritating than them. Romeo is obssessive, stalkerish, and fickle, and Juliet is barely a teenager. She's going through puberty, and shes hormornal. The fact that they were ready to kill themselves numerous times throughout the play after barely knowing each other for 2 weeks just says they both had some underlying issues...

lovelymoon SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Great piece that really supports a claim, that I understand and agree with. :D