Earth Abides by George R. Stewart

Many books deal with what happens after an apocalypse, but few deal with it as uniquely as George R. Stewart did in his 1949 masterpiece, Earth Abides. Earth Abides is the story of Isherwood “Ish” Williams, who discovers the horrors that took place while he was in the desert, isolated from civilization. Humanity has nearly been wiped out. Rather than committing suicide like other people might have, Ish decides to survive and watch how humanity rebuilds. He can be a cold person, but he does whatever is necessary for survival.

The book is divided into three different sections: World Without End, The Year 22 and The Last American. World Without End, the first section is mainly the beginning of Ish’s struggle for survival. The Year 22 goes into more detail about the years that pass, especially the fateful 22nd year after the apocalypse. The Last American is a bit confusing, mainly because Ish is old and near death, but it is probably the most haunting section of the entire novel.

Earth Abides is a chilling story of survival and what happens after most of humanity is wiped out. I’d give it 5 out of 5 stars.

Tink1350 said...
i absolutly hate apocoliptic books. WITH A BURNING PASSION. But your review makes me wanna read this book. Great job. Bravo! Brava!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thanks, Tink1350!  I don't mind them, but I'm curious: Why do you hate apocalyptic books?

Tink1350 replied...
They scare me. :3 They give me da creeps.

Tink1350 replied...
They scare me. :3 They give me the creeps.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
They're supposed to do that.  But I can understand your aversion to being purposely scared.  That's why I don't like zombie apocalypse books. :)

Tink1350 replied...
Omg i hate zombie stuff too. Way too graphic. Ugh.

NinjaGirl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wonderful review! I'd love to read Earth Abides this summer :) P.S. I'm rating it 5 out of 5 ;)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thanks for the comment (and the rating!), NinjaGirl! I'm glad you enjoyed my review; I hope you enjoy 'Earth Abides' if you get a chance to read it. It's an absolute classic.

Shadowrider said...
Your description and in depth analysis without overloading me was great. The review gave me enough information on the book without dragging on for pages. Great job!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thanks Shadowrider!  A bit more of an in-depth analysis was what I was going for because Earth Abides itself is pretty in-depth.

IncorrectlyWired said...
Hmm, it sounds kinda like a book I'd enjoy. I might check it out now... which means you wrote a good review I guess.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thanks!  I hope that if you do read it, you enjoy this classic novel.

musicalmolly said...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 9:22 am
I don't usually read apocalyptic books; however this book sounds highly interesting. You do a fantastic job writing these reviews. I really enjoyed reading them :) Very good work!

CarrieAnn13 replied...

Thanks, musicalmolly!  I don't usually read apocalyptic books either, but this one is definitely an exception.  It's just amazing; I couldn't put it down.

By the way, I wrote and submitted reviews for a few other novels by Pauline Gedge, including the other two books in the King's Man trilogy.  They'll be up in a week or more, hopefully.

JoPepper said...
I'll look into it you do a good job at bringing in the reader with the first sentence.  Keep writing!!!!!! :))

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aw, thanks, JoPepper!  I think you would really enjoy this book.  It's just amazing; you have to read it to believe it. :)