Earth Abides by George R. Stewart | Teen Ink

Earth Abides by George R. Stewart

By CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Many books deal with what happens after an apocalypse, but few deal with it as uniquely as George R. Stewart did in his 1949 masterpiece, Earth Abides. Earth Abides is the story of Isherwood “Ish” Williams, who discovers the horrors that took place while he was in the desert, isolated from civilization. Humanity has nearly been wiped out. Rather than committing suicide like other people might have, Ish decides to survive and watch how humanity rebuilds. He can be a cold person, but he does whatever is necessary for survival.

The book is divided into three different sections: World Without End, The Year 22 and The Last American. World Without End, the first section is mainly the beginning of Ish’s struggle for survival. The Year 22 goes into more detail about the years that pass, especially the fateful 22nd year after the apocalypse. The Last American is a bit confusing, mainly because Ish is old and near death, but it is probably the most haunting section of the entire novel.

Earth Abides is a chilling story of survival and what happens after most of humanity is wiped out. I’d give it 5 out of 5 stars.

Earth Abides is probably the most memorable book I've ever read.

on Jun. 18 2011 at 6:17 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

They're supposed to do that.  But I can understand your aversion to being purposely scared.  That's why I don't like zombie apocalypse books. :)

on Jun. 18 2011 at 6:05 pm
Tink1350 BRONZE, Medford, New York

"Worries are like weights and weights keep you down, so let go of your worries and fly,"

They scare me. :3 They give me the creeps.

on Jun. 18 2011 at 6:04 pm
Tink1350 BRONZE, Medford, New York

They scare me. :3 They give me da creeps.

on Jun. 18 2011 at 5:47 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks, Tink1350!  I don't mind them, but I'm curious: Why do you hate apocalyptic books?

on Jun. 18 2011 at 5:45 pm
Tink1350 BRONZE, Medford, New York

i absolutly hate apocoliptic books. WITH A BURNING PASSION. But your review makes me wanna read this book. Great job. Bravo! Brava!

on Jun. 16 2011 at 10:35 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for the comment (and the rating!), NinjaGirl! I'm glad you enjoyed my review; I hope you enjoy 'Earth Abides' if you get a chance to read it. It's an absolute classic.

on Jun. 16 2011 at 10:33 pm
NinjaGirl BRONZE, Valley City, North Dakota

The only thing holding us back in life is our desire to stay where we are and not venture further.
~Some random person on the Internet :P

Wonderful review! I'd love to read Earth Abides this summer :) P.S. I'm rating it 5 out of 5 ;)

on Jun. 13 2011 at 8:46 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks Shadowrider!  A bit more of an in-depth analysis was what I was going for because Earth Abides itself is pretty in-depth.

on Jun. 13 2011 at 5:19 pm
SecretFlame PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon

"I have a life. I just choose to ignore it."
-one of my friends

Your description and in depth analysis without overloading me was great. The review gave me enough information on the book without dragging on for pages. Great job!

on Jun. 12 2011 at 11:37 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks!  I hope that if you do read it, you enjoy this classic novel.

on Jun. 12 2011 at 10:57 pm
IncorrectlyWired GOLD, Milford, Virginia

"No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness." - Aristotle

Hmm, it sounds kinda like a book I'd enjoy. I might check it out now... which means you wrote a good review I guess.

on Jun. 11 2011 at 2:09 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks, musicalmolly!  I don't usually read apocalyptic books either, but this one is definitely an exception.  It's just amazing; I couldn't put it down.

By the way, I wrote and submitted reviews for a few other novels by Pauline Gedge, including the other two books in the King's Man trilogy.  They'll be up in a week or more, hopefully.

on Jun. 11 2011 at 9:22 am
MollyDoubleU BRONZE, Minooka, Illinois

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past." - The Great Gatsby

I don't usually read apocalyptic books; however this book sounds highly interesting. You do a fantastic job writing these reviews. I really enjoyed reading them :) Very good work!

on Jun. 9 2011 at 4:25 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Aw, thanks, JoPepper!  I think you would really enjoy this book.  It's just amazing; you have to read it to believe it. :)

on Jun. 9 2011 at 1:22 pm
JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

"Freedom is the ability to not care what the other person thinks."

"Not all those who wander are lost" --JRR Tolkien

"When you are listening to music it is better to cover your eyes than your ears." --Jose' Bergamin

I'll look into it you do a good job at bringing in the reader with the first sentence.  Keep writing!!!!!! :))