Earth Abides by George R. Stewart

Many books deal with what happens after an apocalypse, but few deal with it as uniquely as George R. Stewart did in his 1949 masterpiece, Earth Abides. Earth Abides is the story of Isherwood “Ish” Williams, who discovers the horrors that took place while he was in the desert, isolated from civilization. Humanity has nearly been wiped out. Rather than committing suicide like other people might have, Ish decides to survive and watch how humanity rebuilds. He can be a cold person, but he does whatever is necessary for survival.

The book is divided into three different sections: World Without End, The Year 22 and The Last American. World Without End, the first section is mainly the beginning of Ish’s struggle for survival. The Year 22 goes into more detail about the years that pass, especially the fateful 22nd year after the apocalypse. The Last American is a bit confusing, mainly because Ish is old and near death, but it is probably the most haunting section of the entire novel.

Earth Abides is a chilling story of survival and what happens after most of humanity is wiped out. I’d give it 5 out of 5 stars.

gracegirl29 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 11:26 am
Wonderful review. It gave good information about the content as well as the right balance of praise and warning about the confusion of the last section. Very well done!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thank you! :)

DaylightDarkness said...
Jul. 23, 2011 at 10:59 am
very nice. I'll have to remember to pick this up sometime, it sounds like a really good book.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thank you!  It is a good book.

musicispassion said...
sounds interesting i'm gonna read and write a review probably not as great as urs though thanks for the review

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Don't underestimate yourself!  And I'll be on the lookout for your review.

musicispassion replied...
thanks and i won't keep up the good work

Trilobite This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 11, 2011 at 11:21 am
Nice use of summarizing, but again, you need to state your opinion.   Very well written!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Yes, I'm working on stating my opinion, something I hate to do.  It feels almost unprofessional, but I know it's necessary.

MidnightFireThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I like how you give some background on Ish to explain why he didn't die or know that the apocalypse had happened. 

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thanks for commenting!

writer_girl15 said...
im hooked. i have to find that book!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
It's a good book!  I hope if you read it that you enjoy it. :)

Eno-Bladz said...
Jun. 29, 2011 at 11:54 am
i agree with Garnet77.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 29, 2011 at 11:58 am
Thanks for commenting! :)

FizzingWhizbees27 said...
The review lacks opinion. A review needs to express the writers opinion about whatever he/she is reviewing AND give a summary.
SORRY for being so critical. I'm a reporter so I've learned this stuff.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Fair enough.  I'll work on that in the future.  Thanks for the comment!

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 21, 2011 at 1:25 am
I love this review! I actually really want to check this book out. (I am looking for another book to read, anyway) Great job! :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 21, 2011 at 8:54 am
Thanks, Garnet77!  If you do read it, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Tink1350 said...
i absolutly hate apocoliptic books. WITH A BURNING PASSION. But your review makes me wanna read this book. Great job. Bravo! Brava!