The Grapes of Wrath | Teen Ink

The Grapes of Wrath

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck tells the story of a family migrating to California to find work in the great depression era. Times were really rough and many families suffered. Banks sent tractors to destroy the homes of farmers that couldn’t afford to live on the land anymore. The Joad family had no choice but to pack up their belongings and search for work. The American experience for the Joad’s was very difficult. They were in desperate need of jobs to support their whole family. They protected each other as best they could during such a difficult time.
Jim Casy, the family’s old preacher, was holding a strike against the unfair wages outside one of the labor camps. Casy tried to convince Tom that his family ought to help protest, but Tom wanted to protect his family. He didn’t want his family to get mixed up with the cops because it could put them all in danger. As much as he wanted to help, he knew what was best for his family. “We can’t! We was outta food,” Tom said. “Tonight we had meat. Not much, but we had it. Think Pa’s gonna give up his meat on account a other fellas? An’ Rosasharn oughta get milk. Think Ma’s gonna wanta starve the baby jus’ ‘cause a bunch a fellas is yellin’ outside a gate?” (Steinbeck 524)
It was even a difficult time for children. They had to work just as hard and help get money for their family. When Ruthie and Winfield were helping pick peaches, they grew tired. Their father demanded that they continue to help out. “The children squatted down and picked the peaches out of the extra bucket, and a line of buckets stood ready for them…The afternoon passed. Ruthie tried to go away. “I’m tar’d,” she whined. “I got to rest.” “You gotta stay right where you’re at,” said Pa. (Steinbeck 508).

Even though many American families suffered during this era, The Joad family is good example of a hard working and supportive group. They all helped out and looked after one another. Tom was in prison for killing a man mainly due to his high temper. Throughout the story, you can tell that Tom tries his hardest to hold back that temper that had gotten him in trouble before. He certainly didn’t want bring danger to his family. Each member of the family worked their hardest, including Ruthie and Winfield. They all understood how important it was to stick together during a very difficult time.

This is a paper I made after reading the Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. I wrote about the american dream and how it is relevant to the story.

on Jun. 9 2011 at 7:40 am
good idea very good very good