Jimmy Carter President by Betsy Covington | Teen Ink

Jimmy Carter President by Betsy Covington

Jimmy Carter President. Smith, Betsy Covington. New York: Walker and Company, 1986. 117 pages.

(Jimmy Carter: President) the book was a bad book because it didn’t even talk about him but once and it was a short little paragraph the rest of it was talking about American hostages In Iran. At first President Carter met with the congressional leaders to discuss the legislation. After the legislation American helicopters were secretly on their way toward a remote area inside Iran. Their mission was to rescue American hostages being held captive in Iran’s capitol city of Tehran. U.S. diplomats blindfolded and paraded before angry street mobs in downtown Tehran. I wonder where the normal diplomatic channels were. Who was in charge of Iran? Religious leader Ayatollah Khomeini was. Khomeini returned to his country after the shah had departed. Hatred had finally erupted with the seizure of the U.S. embassy.
America’s ordeal had begun. November 1979, marked the beginning of the most difficult period of Carters life, he wrote later in his memoirs. President Carter pursued every conceivable tactic to end the crisis. Carter planned to seize all Iranian assets in the United States which totaled up to about twelve billion dollars. Secret agents were sent into Iran. Satellite photographs were taken of the U.S. Neighboring Iraq began to look as if it might invade Iran. Six C-130 cargo planes were holding ninety members rescue team.
One of the six C-130 cargo planes was shot down nose end in Iran. I wonder when they will rescue the hostages. A helicopter plowed into another C-130 cargo plane. Both of them crash and busted into flames. There had been another collision at the landing spot. Finally the secret agents made it into Iran and found where they were keeping the hostages. They called for reinforcements. Finally they rescued the hostages and over 100 men died trying to save them. I wonder how many were injured.
In all I thought it was a pretty good book. I would never hold anyone hostage. I didn’t like President Carter’s reaction to the crisis but ok. It was kind of a short book, but good. I wonder how high the C-130 cargo planes were in the air. It made me feel like a good person because I am not evil hold people hostage.

My word document