The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold | Teen Ink

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

By haileyj61697 BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
haileyj61697 BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts

“My name was Salmon, like the fish; first name, Susie. I was fourteen when I was murdered on December 6th, 1973.”(p.1) This is just the beginning to one of the most heartbreaking stories of the century.

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold is a novel about a young girl, named Susie Salmon, who was murdered at only 14. Nobody suspected that Mr. Harvey, the quiet neighbor across the street, would have killed this innocent high school freshman. Years after Susie’s death, her mother Angela, seems to have forgotten this tragedy, while Jack, the father, and her younger sister Lindsey continue to search for clues that will help them figure out what happened to Susie.

The narration, seems quite odd, since it is in the perspective of Susie, who has already died. She is telling the story from heaven, and so she gets to see everything going on, whether it’s her family, her high school sweetheart, or the guilty man that had murdered her. In the intriguing flashbacks throughout the book, we see what really happened before and during her death.

In this horrifying yet appealing story, the message it sends is inspiring. I believe it shows you that you should move on with the things that have occurred in the past, because things in the past are impossible to fix.

This novel was exceedingly touching to me. When I read the beginning of this book, I almost wanted to cry, because this book made me think, from the beginning to end, why would anyone want to ever kill someone that never even did anything to hurt them.

With this quote, I think that it‘s saying something deeper than most would think. “How to commit the perfect murder was an old game in heaven. I always chose the icicle: the weapon melts away.”(p.125) I think this quote is saying that everybody that has died from murder, chooses a weapon of defense after they die, to somehow stay safe in heaven. Susie on the other hand, chooses a weapon, that says she already is safe, and needs nothing more. Susie had never intended to hurt anybody, and never did. Even when innocent, things can still lead to the worst…so be prepared for this short time on Earth in the best way possible, like Susie did.