The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

By Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts

You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you have truly lived are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love.
Henry Drummond

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins is an international best-selling book, following the adventures of Katniss, Peeta, Gale and others throughout Panem. Over ten million copies have been sold. Countless amounts of children and adults have enjoyed this book. But me? Not so much.

I first heard about The Hunger Games from all the raving reviews that I got from friends, teachers, librarians…etc

Listening to them rave about the book really got me interested. It also gave me a lot of high expectations.

Following their advice, I finally picked it up and to my surprise, didn’t meet my expectations!

The Hunger Games is set in Panem in a place that was once North America. Pandem is a brutal empire run by a tyrant. Panem is separated into 12 districts, which each provide a service for the Capitol, a glamorous city where the richest and the most powerful live. The leaders not only give nothing, they play the cruelest game of all, the Hunger Games.

Each year, the government, in a drawing, picks a boy and a girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen from each district to play the Hunger Games. The Hunger Games is a tournament to the death. Literally! The goal is to kill everyone and whoever is the last person to survive is crowned the winner! And it’s all on TV! And everyone in Panem has to watch them! Can’t bear to look…that’s just too bad!

In the midst of this all, there’s Katniss, a sixteen year old girl who lives in District Twelve, the coal district, the poorest and dirtiest district of them all.

Katniss, like many people in Pandem, has a sad life. Her father died in a mine explosion (It’s Pandem so no pension). After her father’s death, her mother became chronically depressed and couldn’t take care of Katniss and Prim, her little sister. So in order to survive, Katniss was forced to take up illegal poaching and then selling it on the Black market.

Life is hard but it’s about to get a lot worse!

The time comes for the drawing for the Hunger Games. To everyone’s shock, Prim is chosen. Katniss decides to take Prim’s place.

Let the Hunger Games begin!

Doesn’t this plot sound fascinating?

That’s what I thought while I was reading it. I didn’t hate the whole book and certainly not the beginning. The beginning of The Hunger Games gets the reader hooked because it really hits the ground running. It has a good storyline but the problem is; this book loses steam after the beginning. It’s like a runner who slows down when he should speed up.

I hated how the author chronicled the Hunger Games; it was too hard to get into. The plot was an interesting plot but the author wrote it in such a way that made even the most heart-pounding events seem dull and uninteresting.
I also hated the idea of the Hunger Games, just because it was too creepy for me. It made them sound like Reality TV (I actually enjoy my Reality TV so then it made me feel guilty that I do)

The Hunger Games, themselves, weren’t what I thought it would be.
They were full of action, suspense and thrills just like a great fantasy novel but unlike a great fantasy novel like The Harry Potter series, it didn’t address the moral issues that were being brought up. It not only fails at addressing the moral issues, it failed at emotion. The plot seemed detached from all the emotion that this book should have contained. I mean, a novel where there is much brutality should not have a deadpan disposition! It should contain so much feeling that I should be moved, moved to the point where I should be crying (or at least shed a tear). Over all, I just hate the mood of the story. It’s cold and emotionless when it should be compelling and moving.

The book probably has that tone of tonelessness because of where the perspective comes from, the main character, Katniss. The author thought it was brilliant to make the character hard to relate to and detached from other people. I’ve got news for you, Suzanne Collins, it’s not! The character should be lovable and easy to relate to, especially if she is a heroine. I should love Katniss (or at least admire her) but because I cannot relate to her, it’s virtually impossible to even like her.

I also hate the focus of the story. For me, the story was too focused on the Katniss, Peeta and Gale love triangle (Peeta and Katniss are the official couple but I think it should be Gale and Katniss because Katniss has known Gale way longer and what happened to the Guy code?) Anyway, I hate the idea of the love triangle, I hate how Katniss can’t decide who to like, and it’s not cute or sweet in any way. I also thought it was inconsiderate to focus on a romance where there are much bigger problems to focus on.

In conclusion, this book was a total let-down. The author should have put in more emotion, discussed moral issues, and made the perspective more interesting.
This book needs a serious makeover: Book edition. Quite frankly, I have no idea why so many people are so into this book. This book isn’t as good as people said it would be. Don’t trust the hype!

Aderes47 GOLD said...
on Mar. 6 2014 at 4:20 pm
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts

Henry Drummond

I agree with you on some points, but to agree, yes, it does not make sense how the capitol agrees with the hunger games. The point of the book is not that they agree, but that they are oppressed. I disagree with you about Gale. He is a signficant plot point. I hated the books but I really like the movies. I thought they were packed full of action and made very well and I LOVE Jennifer Lawrence and Liam Helmsworth. I will take your advice on Battle Royale.

on Mar. 6 2014 at 12:40 am
JesusandHisLawyers SILVER, Austin, Texas

"who the fuck has a favorite personal quote what does that even mean" - me, just now.

As a rule, I do not read YA lit. It's always medicore. There are some, albit very few, that's I've enjoyed soley as a guilty pleasure (Heroes by Perry Moore, Speak by Anderson, that's about it) but other than that, YA lit is not my thing. The Hunger Games did not change my opinion about this. YA dystopics are such a joke. This book as atrocious world-building, intolerable characters, and relationships which I frankly can't be bothered to care about. Our main character is a vindictive, self-centered, child who seems to be enjoying the murder of children just as much as everybody else. Our love interest is as flat and uninteresting as the bread he bakes, and Katniss's friend Gale is introduced for seemingly no reason, other than to have a love triangle (a YA lit must). World-building was a mess. I can't get into all of the major, major issues without writing a freaking novel myself, but to illistrate: the Hunger Games themselves make very little sense. The Capitol people have no reason to support  the murder of children, the lower class people have no reason to tolerate the murder of children (considering they much outnumber the upper class), and the CHILDREN have no reason to tolerate the games. The games themselves rely completely on the kids being okay with killing each other, and not running and hiding like, well, scared kids. My advice? If you want to read a great book suspiciously similar to The Hunger Games, not that the Hunger Games ripped it off or anything (she said sarcastically, read Battle Royale. It's much better. Trust me.

on Mar. 30 2013 at 2:46 pm
SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Maya Angelou
When i was little/I used to point a chubby finger toward the dark sky/And ask my father/why some stars moved and others didn’t/He would laugh and explain that some were airplanes/I still wish on them today ~ Laugh-It-Out
The feathers of a crow are black/The ink of my pen is blacker/The pain of my heart is blackest~ Mckay
If love produced a blossom/I’d take it in my palm/What a blessing, the bright color!/How soothing, such a balm!/I’d keep a petal for my own/The rest, drop from my hands/For such a flower would multiply/And populate the lands~ thesilentraven
And I began to rival legends/Long entombed before my birth./But for all my much envied fame/The lust for more would not abate./The plaques and prizes with my name/Will, like all things, disintegrate. ~ TheEpic95 now known as Helena_Noel

Well It WAS awesome.. but Guess what Miss. Super Oblivious Me didn't know there were gonna be three movies and when that one ended I was saying "What??? How can that be the end!! There's still so much more!" I was furious at the director making me wait for the next movies,, gosh! My heart raced all through the movie though...You should see it.

Aderes47 GOLD said...
on Mar. 29 2013 at 6:12 pm
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts

Henry Drummond

No, I did not see the Hobbit. But everyone I know who saw it really enjoyed it.

on Mar. 29 2013 at 2:19 pm

- Maya Angelou

Yes, The Movie was WAY better, because you couldn't hear Katniss' stupid thoughts... haha... NO yea it was one of those rare ones where the movie is mostly better. Did you see "The Hobbit"??? Guess what frickin insane thing happened when I watched it.

Aderes47 GOLD said...
on Mar. 29 2013 at 1:24 am
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts

Henry Drummond

SO TRUE! But I LOVED the Hunger Games movie. Can't wait for the next one. #teamGale

on Mar. 23 2013 at 12:27 pm

- Maya Angelou

Though I read all three, which is proof that I wanted to know how it would end. I totally agree with you. At first, when I finished the series I couldn't decide what I felt about it. I was angry, a lot. That why are authors so hell bent into forcibly pushing in sensatinalism in places where it isn't appropriate or even required for that fact. I couldn't decide whether I should let my firends borrow it or suggest it to them even, but then I thought let them decide for themselves.  But on the whole I still think that Collins should've focused on detail and imagery and emotion and moral and theme more than all that stuffed up useless stuff. But then that's my opinion.

on May. 16 2012 at 9:44 am
i lived that book !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(;

Aderes47 GOLD said...
on Jan. 14 2012 at 10:26 am
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts

Henry Drummond

That's very nice to know.

Kalie SILVER said...
on Jan. 14 2012 at 12:02 am
Kalie SILVER, Cashmere, Washington

We are all people so why treat each other differently

I love this book from the minute i picked it up i couldnt put it down

on Oct. 13 2011 at 10:08 pm
savetheplanet PLATINUM, Anaheim, California

It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

Lizbard?  ROFLZ, now that's a combination I haven't heard from anyone yet.

Aderes47 GOLD said...
on Oct. 13 2011 at 9:59 pm
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts

Henry Drummond

Thank you, Lizbard. :)

on Oct. 12 2011 at 7:41 pm

I'm sorry LeslieAnn, I read the whole series, and while it was an engaging read you can't possibly tell me that there's anything substantial for you to analyze in that book.  It's just not happening.

Aderes47 GOLD said...
on Oct. 12 2011 at 7:31 pm
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts

Henry Drummond

Aw, Thank you! 

:) :) :)

lkijascuh said...
on Oct. 5 2011 at 12:46 pm
lkijascuh, Lkn, Other

.

This is so true I love your review!

Aderes47 GOLD said...
on Sep. 10 2011 at 4:02 pm
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts

Henry Drummond

OK, I don't mind when things are creepy and they have an underlying message but this book just sucked. The book was a bit too predictable. I liked Rue too! I mean, I knew she was going to die but I was P.i.ssed when she did! Thanks! And let me see if I can correct that!

on Sep. 10 2011 at 3:28 pm
Saphirra BRONZE, Auburn, Pennsylvania

“Falling is just like flying except there’s a more permanent destination.” -Some person on Tumblr

I enjpyed the Hunger Games series, but some of your points are true, about the love triangle and I thought that the games were creepy too, I also agree on the absence of the heart-pounding moments, but to me, that's because there is what, 24 people fighting to the death? its easy to see what's going to happen, that they're all dying.  It was sad for me when Rue died, i liked her character. Great Review by the way :) (in the 23rd? line where it says "Katness, like many people in Pandem..." Panem)

Aderes47 GOLD said...
on Aug. 9 2011 at 6:08 pm
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts

Henry Drummond

It's cool. :)

on Aug. 9 2011 at 5:54 pm

Oh ok that makes more sense.  Yah I would appreciate it if you could delete that.  Sorry if I sounded rude, just you freaked me out a little. No hard feelings :D

Aderes47 GOLD said...
on Aug. 9 2011 at 2:27 pm
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts

Henry Drummond

See, I follow you. Whenever you post something on Teen Ink, I receive an email. On those emails, your name shows up. If you follow me, you can see my name. By the way, my name's Aicha. And I can always delete that comment, if you want me to. Do you?

I'm so sorry, I did not know that you didn't want your name. But I understand.