A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer | Teen Ink

A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer

May 27, 2011
By CarlyJane BRONZE, Elkview, West Virginia
CarlyJane BRONZE, Elkview, West Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

A Child Called “It”. Pelzer, Dave. Deerfield Beach, Florida: Health Communications, Inc., 1995. 153 Pages.

The book A Child Called “It” by Dave Pelzer was a very inspiring true story. David Pelzer was only a small child when he started being abused by his mother. This book is a tear jerker but it is worth reading. I would give this book four out of five stars. It goes into great detail about what happened to David as a child and how he went from “David” to “It” in only a few years.
He became an outcast and was extremely lucky to get fed a few leftover scraps in one day. He was so very scared someone would find out the “family secret” and confront his mother. If that happened, the punishments, or as his mother liked to call them “games”, would be worse. He was soon forced to be the family slave and his mother would sometimes say, “What’s your name?” and David would have to reply with, “It”
What did poor David have to live for? If you would ask me I would have to say nothing, but he always kept hope. No matter how bad things got, no matter what “game” his mother wanted to play, David always kept hope and never gave up on himself or his mother. In the back of his mind he sometimes would believe she still cared.
One day when his mother played a game that David couldn’t forget, forgive, or hide from others, he didn’t think he could keep the “family secret” much longer. He was more scared than ever and he didn’t know what to do. You know that of course I can’t tell you what happened. You’ll just have to read it for yourself.