Random Magic by Sasha Soren

I love the way Sasha Soren plays with words the way some people play with string, weaving and tangling them together into fabrics of impossible colors and knots too complicated to untie. I read each chapter slowly, savoring each and every sentence.

Winnie and Henry are fun and interesting characters. Winnie is snarky, spunky and smart, whereas Henry is dreamy, curious and confused. Their friendship forms the most important aspect of the story, and it is lovely.

The plot of Random Magic is crazy, strange and rarely makes sense. It is also ridiculous, wild and wonderful. This book takes you on a ride through history, myth and make-believe that will spin you in circles until you are dizzy and delighted. I loved the many references to famous literary and historical figures as well as mythical characters and creatures. I think I caught most of them, but it will take more than one read-through to make sure. :)

I would recommend this book to lovers of fun, pure silliness and the English language. Happy Reading!

Healing_Angel This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 25, 2011 at 2:14 am
Sounds different! :) Great job with the review! :)

LiederMadchen This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
May 25, 2011 at 2:16 am
Thank you :)