The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks | Teen Ink

The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks

May 18, 2011
By Chelseaxo35 BRONZE, St. Louis, Missouri
Chelseaxo35 BRONZE, St. Louis, Missouri
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The Notebook is written in 1st person and is about an elderly man, Duke, who is telling his wife of their lives. Ally, his wife, has Alzheimer’s and cannot recall anything of their past. Noah, who is Duke as a young man, meets Ally while she is in town for the summer. They quickly fall in love and spend an amazing few months with each other. But with the summer coming to an end, they are both dreading the day Ally leaves. When she finally does, she tells Noah to write her. Noah writes Ally a letter every day for a year but never hears anything back. Ally’s mother had been keeping them from her daughter. Ally decides to move on. She meets a rich new man, Lon, and they are engaged to be married. But Ally sees a picture of Noah in the newspaper and she is bombarded with old memories of their summer together. It is now 14 years later, and Ally goes back to Noah to “check on him”. They fall back in love and now Ally has to choose between her first love or her new love.
This was an awesome book. The way it was written was great because you get a mix of a lot of different scenes. There is a large time span and it allows you to fill in a few details yourself. The ending is fantastic and loveable. The Notebook is a times sad, but it’s also a bit humorous and filled with love. Great, quick read for lovers of Nicholas Sparks.