So b. It by Sarah Weeks | Teen Ink

So b. It by Sarah Weeks

By mgraced BRONZE, Rye, New York
mgraced BRONZE, Rye, New York

Most people know who they are, what their names are, their extended family, and their parent’s history, but Heidi It has no idea where she came from. Her mother, So B. It is mentally disabled and cannot answer any questions about her and Heidi’s mysterious past. Heidi is content with knowing what little she did about her past until one day her mother starts saying an unknown word, “soof”. Not knowing what this word means starts to drive Heidi crazy. All she can think about was what this exotic word means. And when Heidi finds some old pictures she goes off on the journey of a lifetime to find the Hilltop Home for the mentally disabled.

I never realized what it was like to have a disabled parent until I read So B. It. The story really shows the different challenges that Heidi, her mom, and Bernie faces throughout the years. It is really hard for Heidi and Bernie to communicate with So. B. It, and it was even difficult to teach her simple things such as opening a can or making tea. If it weren’t for Bernie who knows where Heidi and mama would be right now. Bernie’s patience and love for Heidi and So make it possible for them to live a somewhat normal life.

Another thing that this book taught me was that with the right amount of determination you can achieve anything you put your mind to. Heidi had loads of persistence when it came to finding out things about Mama’s past. Every time Mama said soof, Heidi would ask her what it meant. But even when Mama wouldn’t reply Heidi still didn’t give up; she needed to know what soof meant. It was all Heidi could think about to the point that she would lie awake at night for hours, just thinking about what it could possibly mean.

The second Heidi comes across some photos she knows what she has to do in order to find out about her past. Heidi has to set off in search of the Hilltop home where she knows her mother had once been.

All in all I thought that this book was pretty good. Sarah Weeks has a great style of writing and I would love to read more from her. I loved the way she described every character by giving little hints about personalities when they were first introduced into the story. Her writing really created a picture in my mind and I felt like I was experiencing everything that the characters were while it was happening. Not only that, but she made me feel like I was overcoming the different conflicts with the characters. In the end the book was satisfactory and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a quick read and likes books with good life lessons.

on May. 25 2011 at 2:11 am
Healing_Angel SILVER, Sydney, Other

Live for today, not for tomorrow

Great review! Detailed and interesting! Sounds like an inspiring book.