Tears of a Tiger by Sharon M. Draper

May 15, 2011
When I started reading this book by Sharon M. Draper, I thought it was just an average book, and I didn't particularly like it. It was written in diary entries, letters, poems, prayers, unique dialogue, etc. That type of writing is not my style, but as I continued to read, I realized how good the author is at writing.
The book starts with Andy Jackson and his friends driving around, drunk, with Andy at the wheel. They get into an accident, and Andy's best friend, Rob Washington, is burned to death, stuck in the car, screaming to Andy for help.
The rest of the book shows how Andy and his classmates cope with this tragedy, and it hits Andy the hardest. The other boys that had been in that doomed car with Andy and Rob-B.J. and Tyrone-are, of course, upset, but can't share Andy's feelings of guilt, as they were not driving.
Andy seeks help and support from his girlfriend, Keisha, and his psychologist, but his depression still lingers, until a horrifying and painfully realistic climax.
This is a great book, but not for anyone under fourteen. If someone reads it when they are not emotionally ready, it could be very upsetting, as it covers a lot of tough topics.