The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Stephen Chbosky's first novel, The perks of Being a Wallflower, is a coming-of-age story composed in letters to an anonymous source by a teenager named Charlie. If you're looking for a book that draws out the best in people, this is the perfect one to do so. Charlie's views are fairly simple, but each words hooks you, and forces you to think complexly of a seemingly ordinary issue.

The book starts with Charlie's transition into high school, which he begins dealing with trauma of losing loved ones and being a social outcast. The plot travels through Charlie's discoveries of drugs, alcohol, music, movies, rape, sexuality, friendship, and so much more. Chbosky does a wonderful job of touching on the delicate emotions and obstacles that teenagers face, and manages to create relatable experiences that instantly develop a connection between reader and main character.

It's almost impossible not to fall in love with Charlie's personality. His innocent but wise views of the world are so raw and true that it's simply eerie to see thoughts hardly mentioned finally on paper.