Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell | Teen Ink

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell

By danieldoublec BRONZE, Saint Louis, Missouri
danieldoublec BRONZE, Saint Louis, Missouri

"He is Risen!"

I didn’t know the meaning of mind-control until I read 1984. Welcome to a country where officials are watching your every move. The second you are even suspected of committing “thoughtcrime” you are immediately arrested, never to be seen again. This is the world you enter when you read 1984. A world where WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, and INGORANCE IS STRENTH.

You will meet Winston Smith, a man who works for the Ministry of Truth. His job is to change old newspaper articles to match what is currently going on in the world. For example, if in 1977 the government predicted a 50% increase in the economy for the year 1980, and in 1980 the economy only grew 2%, it would be Winston’s job to change all the records of that to show that the government had predicted a 2% growth from the beginning. This principle is the foundation of the whole story. It shows you that Big Brother has control over everyone and everything. There are lessons in the book that governments around the world need to learn.
What I love about this book are the thoughts that it plants in your head. 1984 makes you wonder how such a government could be created. How could a regime as horrible as Big Brother’s even get off the ground? I think George Orwell’s intent was to create a story with a country so horrible that it would make people think. George Orwell wanted to preserve the thought that government should be run by the people, and that no one should be left out.

Be warned… this book is also very frightening. It is not for the faint of heart! I would recommend that you read this book if you’re the type of person who wants to make a change in the world. 1984 is the perfect guide of what not to do!