The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

May 10, 2011
By Kyle Borah BRONZE, St. Louis, Missouri
Kyle Borah BRONZE, St. Louis, Missouri
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Suzanne Collins opens your mind to a whole new aspect of governmental control in her first installment in The Hunger Games trilogy The Hunger Games: Book 1. In her book, the reader is flung head-long into a tangled web of governmental dictatorship and citizen rebellion; in which sixteen year-old Katniss everdeen becomes the spark that lights the torch of rebellion. Panem, the new North America, now encompasses twelve poorer districts and the wealthy capital. As punishment for a prior rebellion the districts must supply a male and a female “Tribute”, from ages twelve to eighteen, to participate in “The Hunger Games”. A fight to the death by all twenty four tributes, and the last one standing wins a life of luxury for his or her whole family. Katniss becomes district’s twelve tribute by volunteering in place of her 12 year old sister Rosemary. Katniss quickly finds herself swept off to the capital with Peeta Mellark; the other district twelve tribute.

Collins quickly makes the relationships more complicated by Peeta’s confession of love for Katniss during the tribute interviews. Katniss uses this to her advantage by saving Peeta’s life in the games and nursing him back to health. In order to receive valuable supplies from sponsors that can give the tributes gifts throughout the games. As a result, Katniss and Peeta find themselves the last two tributes and considering suicide. The book ends in a heart stopping climax, yet still leaving you on a cliff hanger. The trilogy spirals on to book two, Catching Fire, and ends in a third and final epic climax in Mockingjay.