Skinny Bitch by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin | Teen Ink

Skinny Bitch by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin

May 9, 2011
By SilverDropsofLife BRONZE, Mt. Holly Springs, Pennsylvania
SilverDropsofLife BRONZE, Mt. Holly Springs, Pennsylvania
3 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Review: Skinny B**** by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin
Overall, I did not enjoy reading this book, and the only thing I took from it was the fact that models should not write books on nutrition, especially since one is a “self-taught know-it-all.” Throughout my reading of this book, I found myself frustrated with not only the writing but the content. I was shocked with what I read. When I picked up this book, I did not expect to be reading a book that attempted to scare its readers into becoming a straight vegan. To me, the information they provided to back up their points felt rough and almost outdated. Granted this book was published in 2005, I felt they should have found more recent points in their arguments.

On that note, I felt this book was supposed to be a diet book, but instead half of it was about bashing the government and industries, especially the USDA. In my opinion, this book was more about trying to crush those companies instead of going against them and not eating their products. I learned more about the mistakes in the USDA and the FDA than I did in learning how to eat right. The only two chapters I felt that were dedicated to the second intention were at the very end of the book, and they were simply lists.

Aside from nutrition and politics, when it comes to the writing, I felt a lot of the language was unnecessary. The authors used numerous phrases that were offense and uncalled for. The vulgarity was too much, and it was placed in so many places where it could have been cut. I can understand that the authors were trying to make a point and shock their readers into listening to them, but they could have done so with the same effect with the appropriate language. Basically, they used this language just because they could, and it sounded awful.

Overall, this book did not teach me what I expected. I found out things I did not know before, but because of the way it was presented, I did not respect what they had to say. I do not recommend this book to those who are trying to lose weight because becoming a vegan is not for everyone and it is certainly not the only “lifestyle” that works. People are different, and this particular path can be rough for some, impossible for others. I praise the effort they put into this book, but their opinions are rough and they do not apply to everyone.


The author's comments:
I had to read this book for a project in my Biology II class. My teacher recommended it without even reading it herself. Let's just say that next year, it's off her list.