The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain | Teen Ink

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

May 8, 2011
By Elliot Gilbert SILVER, Bedford, New York
Elliot Gilbert SILVER, Bedford, New York
5 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Many people have tried to imagine themselves in the time of slavery and questioned what they would truly be like even if they thought it was wrong today. However they probaly have not placed themselves in a situation in which they are helping free a slave and running away at the same time. In The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain, the protagonist, Huck Finn, fakes being killed so that he can run away. While he is pronounced dead to the public, he was very much alive and involved in freeing a slave. Huck Finn is only thirteen, and although sometimes he is stubborn, he is brave and loyal.

In The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Huck fakes his death to escape from his harsh father. His mastermind plan takes much thought and he manages to escape with people thinking he is dead. While running away he encounters a run-away slave named Jim whom he knows from his home, and together they team up to stay hidden from the rest of the world. At any time, Huck could have turned Jim in for a big reward, but he stays loyal to Jim and tries everything he can to keep both of them safe. With bravery, hard work, and loyalty, Huck manages to free Jim, even if this was not his ideal plan. Huck taught me that what society says is not always the right thing, and that friendship comes before rules and money.

Mark Twain wrote with such vivid detail that when I read this book, I forgot where I was. He wrote the book in southern slang with southern words, so that I felt as if Huck himself was telling me his story. The language that Twain used was so detailed and so descriptive that the only thing that would make the book more clear to me was if I was actually there. Unlike other books, I could not predict what was going to happen next. So until the outcome, I couldn’t put the book down. I can truly say that The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is one of the best books I have ever read. It is an action packed book, and I recommend it to people who are looking for a great book that keeps you reading.


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 0 comments.