The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking, Leonard Mlodinow | Teen Ink

The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking, Leonard Mlodinow

By zerohero BRONZE, Athens, Ohio
zerohero BRONZE, Athens, Ohio

The Grand Design, by Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow, describes the reasons of the existence of everything. Truth is, nothing is precise and nothing is a definite truth, and that is the theme of the book. Physicists believe nothing is exact and they spend their lives trying to prove some theory or law wrong. Stephen Hawking is actually a math professor at the University of Cambridge but has been acknowledged for many other novels and essays such as A Brief History of Time and The Universe in a Nutshell. For all who do not know who he is, he can be summed up as the genius living in a wheelchair with a disease that prohibits him from all general movements, including walking, talking and eating, and has the robotic voice machine. He has developed many theories over the years about both astrophysics and quantum physics.
The book starts off by asking questions based on what the general public would ask, such as, “where did all this come from?” Most people, at some point in their lives, ask themselves how did everything come to be. If anyone has ever had a discussion, whether if it is with themselves or someone else, based on the question, they probably realized that it goes absolutely nowhere. This book provides the fact that nothing is ever proven true. If there is a theory of how everything was created, there is probably another theory that contradicts it. The fact is that neither is right or wrong and everything has truth. In the book, Hawking describes life from a fish’s, in a fishbowl, view of the world and how it differs from human beings’ views of the world. He goes on to say that nothing can disprove the fact that the fish is actually seeing true reality.
Hawking uses many theories and laws from past scientists and mathematicians, such as Newton, Ptolemy, Galileo, Descartes, Einstein, Copernicus and Pythagoras, to prove that science, both macroscopic and microscopic, evolves over time based on technologies and beliefs. For example, Ptolemy’s model of the Earth as being the center of the universe was adopted by the Catholic Church until Copernicus gave a reason for why Earth was not the center of the universe and also it orbits around the sun and not vice versa. This then proves that the M-theory Einstein worked hard to prove cannot be achieved. The M-theory is, by definition, a fundamental theory of physics that is a candidate for the theory of everything. This means that laws don’t actually exist. Laws are only laws until a theory disproves it, so in other words, every law would be theories that were proven many times but shouldn’t be accepted as the absolute truth.
The Grand Design teaches people to not accept what is taught too easily. I believe for everything that happens, there is a contradiction of some kind. The fact is there is more than one design for everything and they’re all combined into one giant design. The grand design is the organisms, living in the universes’, ability to wonder about what’s beyond where they live. I believe human beings are part of the grand design and that every organism should continue living their lives knowing that they’re all part of one giant design.

Stephen Hawking is possibly the smartest man in the current generation.