Crank by Ellen Hopkins | Teen Ink

Crank by Ellen Hopkins

By Rozababe SILVER, Evergreen, Colorado
Rozababe SILVER, Evergreen, Colorado

"Life is like an ice cream cone. Not really but I am super hungry right now!"- Me

First Line: "Life was good before I met the monster. After, life was great, at least for a little while."

Kristina is the perfect daughter: gifted high school junior, quiet, never any trouble. Then she meets the monster: crank. And what begins as a wild ride turns into a struggle for her mind, her soul- her life.

Crank is Ellen Hopkins debut novel. As you follow the story Kristina has to make a few difficult choices that leave the reader wondering what they would do if put in the position. Crank does not sugar coat the realities of addiction and of drugs in general. I personally had a very hard time making myself read it because of the heavy plot line. But as a story in general it has very few flaws. Once you do get into this book the speed at witch you can complete it is amazing! The book is 537 but with Ellen's unique writing style it will just fly by. I loved this book for many reasons but one of the biggest is because it really opened my eyes to the horrors of what some people put them self through. Another reason I loved this book is because it is all written in verse. That writing style paints a very vivid picture without getting graphic, I would recommend this book for a older reading group due to the difficult subject. This book was truly wonderful and I hope you can find the beauty in it like I did.

Rating- A

This is a review from my book blog
mckinleysbookblog.blogspot.com
check it out and comment!!!