Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DiCamillo | Teen Ink

Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

By Sam McClead BRONZE, Parkersburg, West Virginia
Sam McClead BRONZE, Parkersburg, West Virginia

Because of Winn Dixie
By: Kate DiCamillo

????
Kate DiCamillo’s book “Because of Winn Dixie” is a heartfelt story about a ten year old girl, Opal, who is trying to find where she belongs in the city of Naomi, Florida. She finds it hard to make a name for herself other than “The Preacher’s Daughter” but soon finds her own best friend, Winn Dixie.
India Opal Buloni lived with her father in a small town in Florida. Her mother had left them when she was only three and her father had been taking care of her ever since. He loved Opal but he was always absorbed in his job as the preacher in town and was still recovering from his wife leaving.
"My name is India Opal Buloni, and last summer my daddy, the preacher, sent me to the store for a box of macaroni-and-cheese, some white rice, and two tomatoes and I came back with a dog.", Opals states. Her father was not that excepting of the dog but he gave it a chance. Opal names the dog Winn Dixie after the grocery store she found him in. Some people are not excepting of the dog but Opal continues to take care of him. The dog has a friendly personality and a smile so big that will makes him ‘sneeze’. It’s hard not to fall in love with him from the very start of the book. Winn Dixie helps Opal gain a few eccentric friends such as the town librarian, Miss Fanny, Gloria Dump, the old woman in the neighborhood known as ‘The Witch’ in town but is a really sweet blind lady, and Otis the owner of the pet store.
This book tells a heartwarming story as you read about Opals life in Florida. From her meeting Winn Dixie to her father finally speaking to her about what her mother was like, you’ll find it hard to put the book down after you read the very first page.
Kate DiCamillo earned a very prestigious award for her book, the Newberry Honor Book for Excellence. She also was awarded the Josette Frank Award from the Children's Book Committee at Bank Street College of Education.
I would recommend this book to anyone up from the age of nine. It’s a great read and will have you glued to your seat just begging for more!