The Girl Who Fell From the Sky by Heidi W. Durrow | Teen Ink

The Girl Who Fell From the Sky by Heidi W. Durrow

April 24, 2011
By kitmeyer BRONZE, Orange, New Jersey
kitmeyer BRONZE, Orange, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Rock out like you get paid to disturb the peace."


Conflicted feelings on where you belong are always excruciating to go through. In the beautifully written novel The Girl Who Fell from the Sky by Heidi W. Durrow, a young biracial girl by the name of Rachel must come to terms with who she is and how others view her after a devastating family tragedy. As the daughter of a Danish woman and an African American GI, Rachel struggles to be a part of her African American Grandmother’s family while still retaining her Danish roots.

I read this book only just over spring break. My family and I were traveling out to Nevada and, before we left, my mother and I stopped into the neighborhood bookstore looking for something interesting to read on the plane ride. The front cover of this book is what initially attracted me to it, and it seemed mysterious so I picked it up, read the back cover, and assumed it wouldn’t be something I was interested in. I have never been more wrong in my life. I am so grateful that I decided to get this book after all.

This story is about something that I never thought I would be interested in, and that is the identity of biracial young people and how the world views them. This unique story touched me deeply and is perhaps one of the most interesting books I have ever read. Though it is a work of fiction, it contains elements of mystery, romance, suspense, and moments where your jaw simply drops to the floor. This story is also told through the point of views of five protagonists, making the events even more vivid and adding real depth to the story. In fact, the only thing I did not enjoy about this book was the ending, which I felt could have been more fulfilling. Don’t let that keep you back, though. This book is definitely on my “top ten” list.

However, this book might not be for everyone. It is honest to the point of being explicit and readers of this story need to remember that without these lifelike events the book would not be what it is. If you are looking for a blatant romance novel, this is not for you. If you are looking for a good piece of fluff or a light read, this also isn’t for you. This book requires attention to detail and an ongoing interest in the characters and how the events unfold before them in their lives.

The Girl Who Fell from the Sky is a novel that dives into the very heart and soul of one girl and other people in her life who are struggling to be accepted by the world around them. It is a book that I think we can all relate to in one way or another, whether or not we are biracial, and this story can teach us lessons about race, pride, hate, ignorance, and what it means to be a person.