Dracula by Bram Stoker | Teen Ink

Dracula by Bram Stoker

April 19, 2011
By Villela BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
Villela BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The Real Vampire Story

Vampires have been humiliated by the new releases of Vampire books. For example, when we think of a Vampire story, we do not think of a blood thirsty monster longing for life, but a love story where a Vampire is unable to find love. The Original Vampire story, Bram Stoker’s Dracula, is an ingenious work of art that has many aspects that set it apart from all other novels, making it one of the greatest novels ever written.

The way that Dracula is written as a series of journal entries from many different characters makes the reader feel more involved in the story. When a story is written from 3rd person, or even 1st person, it feels like you are just observing what is happening to the main character point of view. A whole new perspective is added to the story when it is viewed from the journals, a new perspective that makes the reader feel like they are with the characters telling their story. For instance, if a friend just experienced the scariest moment of his life, it would be a lot more interesting to people if he told them directly or through a letter as compared to reading it in a narrative of his this event. It is as though the reader plays the role of an investigator gathering evidence and educating him through the characters’ experiences.
Another advantage to having the journal entries is it helps to develop the characters. When writing an essay to a teacher, there is a different voice than a friendly letter to a buddy. The friendly letter brings out the true personality of people. In most books, the personality of a character is brought to life by their actions or inner thoughts; however, those inner thoughts are often limited to specific topics like a plan or idea. In Dracula, you not only get the classic content all other novels have, but the added expansion pack which includes the thoughts of characters about other characters, plus the true personality of people thanks to letters between characters.
Lastly, the most amazing thing about Dracula is its plot line and content. The story is suitable for any audience. Dracula is a mix of all different genres of writing, it has romance, action, mystery, and not to mention horror.