Emil and Karl by Yankev Glatshteyn | Teen Ink

Emil and Karl by Yankev Glatshteyn

April 14, 2011
By Brooke Ackerknecht BRONZE, Wilton, New York
Brooke Ackerknecht BRONZE, Wilton, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The book Emil and Karl is an outstanding book. The author is Yankev Glatshteyn, its genre is global issues and the copyright date is 2006.

I would recommend this book for young adults and even adults because it has problems that can be related to anyone. This book is about the life of two young best friends named Emil and Karl. Emil was Jewish and Karl is staying with Emil and Emil’s mother. This book takes place during World War II, at a time when Jewish people were being discriminated against. Some people might find it a little too descriptive in some scenes, but I thought it was one of the best books I have ever read.

Some of the reasons I would recommend this book is that the way the author words sentences and the descriptive words he uses really makes you think about how it felt to be truly hated. Some of the scenes that come into your mind just astound you such as the author describes torture that Emil and Karl had to face you picture it as if it were you facing that torture and drudging on in life. This book has a great plot for anyone who likes to feel as though they are actually in the story, and also if you like reading books about World War II, this book is definitely for you! Lastly, this book makes you truly feel as though you are right alongside with Emil and Karl, hearing them cry, and seeing the struggles that they had to face.

If you would like to find out more about this fantastic and amazing novel then you are going to have to read it for yourself!


The author's comments:
I wrote this review for this book I read and I also did it for an english project.