Burned by Ellen Hopkins This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Burned by Ellen Hopkins

First line: Did you ever, when you were little endure your parents' warnings, then wait for them to leave the room and pry loose the porective covers and consider inserting some metal object into an electrical outlet?

Raised in a religious-yet abusive-family, Pattyn Von Stratten starts asking questions-about God, a woman's role, sex, love. She experiences the first stirrings of passion, but when her father catches her in a compromising position, events spiral out of control. Pattyn is sent the live with her aunt in the wilds of Nevada to find salvation and redemption. What she finds instead is love and acceptance-until she realizes that her old demons will not let her go.

Ellen Hopkins second book Burned is simply wonderful. Like all of Ellen Hopkins books this one tackles yet another harsh reality of life: abusive parents. Although some people did not like this book because of the way Mormonism was portrayed I found it very realistic. Not saying that every person in a religion is that way but Ellen is showing the extreme.

Burned has everything anyone could want to read about, love, adventure, mystery and faith. Burned is so deeply moving that you will not be able to put it down until the very last page.