Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë | Teen Ink

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë MAG

April 1, 2011
By Anonymous

A unique classic by Emily Brontë, Wuthering Heights tells the story of a love – or perhaps hate – triangle. Catherine Earnshaw, who starts out as a rebellious girl, blossoms into an opinionated, treacherous woman who is in love with two men. Or so she thinks. The story line progresses through generations, preaching the message to love the one you truly love.

The thing I enjoyed most about this book is that it is forever changing. Each character's personality undergoes so many ups and downs that it's hard to keep up with, but it will most certainly keep you on your toes trying to predict what will happen next.

Catherine changes right before our eyes. But one fact stays with her throughout: she will never live without her beloved Heathcliff. However, his personality and attitude change drastically. He begins as a shy youth, then matures into a polite young man, but near the end he becomes a complete lunatic. You can never tell if he will adore or despise Catherine, which is very relatable.

Brontë uses vivid imagery, making you feel a part of the story. She uses lots of vocabulary, sometimes making it incomprehensible, but in small doses her language brings the book alive. It really makes you feel the setting of the early 1800s, and gives readers a sense of life in those times. Her excellent descriptions add something special to this already intriguing story.

Most would consider Wuthering Heights a classic ­romance. It projects so many forms of love, from the childhood love of Catherine and Heathcliff, to the jealous and devoted love of Catherine and Edgar, to the passionate, true love that Heathcliff and Catherine show for each other after years of trying to hide it. However, in many ways this novel could be considered an anti-­romance. All forms of love are broken during this story, resulting in more of a heartbreak novel than a sappy romance.

Wuthering Heights is the perfect read for many. Its life lessons tie into an original and magnificent plot, which makes for a great novel that I would recommend to anyone.