Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë | Teen Ink

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë MAG

A unique classic by Emily Brontë, Wuthering Heights tells the story of a love – or perhaps hate – triangle. Catherine Earnshaw, who starts out as a rebellious girl, blossoms into an opinionated, treacherous woman who is in love with two men. Or so she thinks. The story line progresses through generations, preaching the message to love the one you truly love.

The thing I enjoyed most about this book is that it is forever changing. Each character's personality undergoes so many ups and downs that it's hard to keep up with, but it will most certainly keep you on your toes trying to predict what will happen next.

Catherine changes right before our eyes. But one fact stays with her throughout: she will never live without her beloved Heathcliff. However, his personality and attitude change drastically. He begins as a shy youth, then matures into a polite young man, but near the end he becomes a complete lunatic. You can never tell if he will adore or despise Catherine, which is very relatable.

Brontë uses vivid imagery, making you feel a part of the story. She uses lots of vocabulary, sometimes making it incomprehensible, but in small doses her language brings the book alive. It really makes you feel the setting of the early 1800s, and gives readers a sense of life in those times. Her excellent descriptions add something special to this already intriguing story.

Most would consider Wuthering Heights a classic ­romance. It projects so many forms of love, from the childhood love of Catherine and Heathcliff, to the jealous and devoted love of Catherine and Edgar, to the passionate, true love that Heathcliff and Catherine show for each other after years of trying to hide it. However, in many ways this novel could be considered an anti-­romance. All forms of love are broken during this story, resulting in more of a heartbreak novel than a sappy romance.

Wuthering Heights is the perfect read for many. Its life lessons tie into an original and magnificent plot, which makes for a great novel that I would recommend to anyone.

katieee19 said...
on Apr. 19 2011 at 12:19 pm
katieee19, South Porland, Maine
Just sticking up for a friend who was deeply hurt by your rude comments toward her terrific book review. Good Day Sir. 

on Apr. 19 2011 at 12:55 am
literaryaddict PLATINUM, Albuquerque, New Mexico

"We're almost there and no where near it. All that matters is that we're going." Lorelai Gilmore, Gilmore Girls
"The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound." Lady Bracknell, The Importance of Being Earnest, Oscar Wilde

I didn't mean to offend anyone. I like reading other people's opinions on books I've read. And I did think that the author did a VERY good job with the review. I only wanted to point out an inaccuracy in the first paragraph and share my views. The author's points are valid and I was just sharing my opinions. There was no reason for you to criticize me like that.

katieee19 said...
on Apr. 18 2011 at 8:58 pm
katieee19, South Porland, Maine
EXCUSE ME BUT I THINK SHE DID A GOOD BOOK REVIEW AND THERES NO REASON FOR YOU TO CRITICIZE IT LIKE THAT. who do you think you are? That was rude, snobby, and unnecessary. Everyone has their own opinions and you CLEARLY stated yours, but if you've already read the book then why are you reading the book review? Nice try though.

on Apr. 17 2011 at 6:55 pm

I liked your review but some things weren't accurate. It is not an American book; it was written in the mid-1800s in England, set in Yorkshire where Emily Bronte lived all her life. Second, I would hardly call the characters in the book shallow. Many of the characters, Heathcliff and the elder Catherine especially, have many levels to their personalities that are deep and complex. I find it interesting that you call it a self-confidence booster; when I read it, it made me despair over the human race that we actually are capable of such cruelty, hatred, and capriciousness. Other than that, I thought this was an excellent review for an excellent book!!

Tania said...
on Apr. 12 2011 at 8:13 pm
I read this book long ago, but your review has motivated me to read it again.  I agree with you-it is a heartbreak novel with many twists and turns which makes it all the more intriguing to read.