Totallly Joe by James Howe | Teen Ink

Totallly Joe by James Howe

March 30, 2011
By JadenSmith4ever BRONZE, Mitchellville, Maryland
JadenSmith4ever BRONZE, Mitchellville, Maryland
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Turn that frown upside down & apply your new lipgloss." -Bopmag.com


Totally Joe, a book by James Howe, is the realistic fiction companion book to The Misfits. It’s about a gay teen named Joe Bunch who struggles with relationships, friends, bullies and school during the book.

I think this book will really help teens answer the question, “Who am I?”

In the book, Joe writes an alphabiography about him and his 7th grade year. This gives us an insider’s view to how he deals with relationships, his friends, Addie, Bobby and Skeezie, the tool-of-a-bully Kevin Hennessy and school in general. It also talks about the challenges of being an openly-gay teen.

Totally Joe connects to the book The Daughters because both main characters struggle with finding out who they are. I think that by the end of each book, the man characters found out.

I figured that Joe would become himself after Collin asked him to hide their relationship. Joe was not comfterable with that and I could tell that because Joe was openly-gay and Collin was not.

I think this book is for 6th grade and up because that is the age group of the characters. This book is also for people who like realistic fiction, a good laugh and a heart-warming story.
Totally Joe was a great book with real, tough issues that make you answer the question, “Who am I?”


The author's comments:
I had to write this for school. Im sooo enormously proud of it =)