The Boy Who Came Back from Heaven by Kevin and Alex Malarkey | Teen Ink

The Boy Who Came Back from Heaven by Kevin and Alex Malarkey

By Doddki BRONZE, South Portland, Maine
Doddki BRONZE, South Portland, Maine

This book, The Boy who Came Back from Heaven, has powers, it opened up a whole new world to me. Just the way the author, Kevin Malarkey, describes his experiences and thoughts during the time around the car accident, that caused his son to become a quadriplegic, made me realize that anything can happen to anyone and that what happens doesn't really matter, it is the way you deal with the situation that really matters. This is a very religious based book which is why it falls under the Christianity genre. It thoroughly describes what events happened, via the car accident, and what is the best way to deal with them. This book shows that the best way to deal with it is to confide in God. This is a life changing book.

This book is a true story and that is really what caught my eye when choosing this book. For most of the time Kevin Malarkey is telling the story. He explains what happened before the accident, during and after. The way the book is written, the people who where part of the story has their thoughts written at the bottom of most pages. Also, every other chapter is Alex's view of the accident. He usually doesn't have much to say about the accident but he has a lot to say about faith and God. With these three components the book makes you feel as if you were physically and emotionally there during the time of the accident.It is a very realistic book.

As the book progresses, the characters really develop into people that you admire. In the beginning, Kevin seems like the ordinary father that loves his children very much but doesn't think much about the possible dangers of life. Such as car accidents, diseases, death, etc. Like most people he thinks that nothing can happen to him, but it does. One day he wasn't paying attention to the road because he got distracted and he got into a car crash, with his son in the back seat. This is what made him realize that bad things can happen. But due to God and His almighty power, Kevin and his wife Beth stayed strong and continued to deal with the out come. Some times the are discouraged and feel as if they cannot go on, but that goes away with the help of God and his love. By the end of the book, Kevin is a true hero to his family, but the one thing that must be reminded of is that God got him there and he will keep him there. Character development is very strong in this book.

Religion is the main genre that this book covers and it is specifically a christian book. All through out the book there are examples of the christian faith, especially around the time of when Alex was in the hospital and the doctors didn't know if he would survive or not. During that time many people came together to pray and provide support to the family. Alex always had someone praying over him during his first months at the hospital. His community also provided services at his house, after he came home, so that Alex and his family could have an easier time, with the transport, time, money, etc. This book is definitely a christian book.

I would totally recommend this book to all faithful Christians and Catholics out there. I would even recommend it to non-Christians or Catholics too because then maybe you can see that God does exist and he does wonderful things. The Boy who Came Back from Heaven by Kevin and Alex Malarkey truly shows what God does for people in time of need. Out of a one to five scale, I would totally choose a five.

This was a project for my freshmen English class.

Tania said...
This book sounds powerful and that it really resonated with you. I am going to check it out.