With Heroic Truth: The Life of Edward R. Murrow by Norman H. Finkelstein | Teen Ink

With Heroic Truth: The Life of Edward R. Murrow by Norman H. Finkelstein

By nberisha BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
nberisha BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

As I have always been interested why our school was named after a man who died almost a decade prior to its being built, I delighted in finally satisfying my curiosity.

Norman H. Finkelstein’s With Heroic Truth: The Life of Edward R. Murrow is an homage biography that recounts, though redundantly, all the little moments of Murrow’s life, in a way that tries to imitate Murrow’s own style. However, the repetitive nature of the book increasingly bored me, particularly towards the middle. I was especially fed up with lines such as “his voice of authority,” “Ed liked the small details,” “He brought action abroad into their homes,” and “He believed in simplicity know that Finkelstein’s tone shows respect for his subject, but his voice is annoying.

Finkelstein did, however, insert various intriguing quotes of Murrow himself (usually at least three times each page!) which lessened my annoyance of his repetition. The author also used very personal accounts of Murrow’s life, such as how Murrow felt during every broadcast—trembling in his boots while keeping the appearance of calm. Such anecdotes humanize the talented reporter and made the pages fly by. It made me sort of proud to attend a school that bears the name of such a dignified, down-to-earth dude.

Hi, guys

I'm new to this, so I completely messed up my first submission, which might be interesting to you if you liked the shorter school days essay and shocking statistics. The other article is called Finnish Finish School with Better Grades.

I want some constructive criticism on The Epic Truth and that first one in order to improve my writing, so can you guys please help?

NYCKING said...
I'm awesomer........ereeerreerer.

rubbersoul16 said...

This is awesome! From 1 through five, I rate you a fifty million.

nberisha BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

I'm sorry, I guess I forgot to end the quote, and insert an "I" before "know." I hope it still makes sense, though.

NYCKING said...
I think that, you need to fix the facts and turn them into gold.