The Great Gatsby | Teen Ink

The Great Gatsby

March 10, 2011
By Michael Garcia BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
Michael Garcia BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Novel: The Great Gatsby
Author: F. Scott Fitzgerald


The Great Gatsby, published in 1925, is set on Long Island’s two “eggs”, West Egg and East Egg. Nick Carraway, the protagonist of the story, moves from Minnesota to the West Egg to learn of the bond business. In his new location, he meets a various sort of characters. One of them is Jay Gatsby, a man notorious for his wealth and soirées. The two talk and soon become acquainted with each other.

Later on in the novel, Gatsby reveals to Nick that he is infatuated with Daisy Buchanan, Nick’s cousin who lives in the East Egg. He then asks Jordan Baker, a friend of Daisy’s, and Mr. Carraway to help him with his love troubles. The two reluctantly agree to his plea.

In the past, there have been mixed reviews of this classic piece of literature; some have said that the book was a little bland, while others have said the opposite. I, for one, agree with the latter half. As I read this novel, I could feel what each character felt; I could sympathize with them. I also felt like I was actually there in each setting, surrounded in the atmosphere Nick had felt. With these “feelings”, I felt involved in the story of one’s affection for another. F. Scott Fitzgerald truly captures the life of the 1920’s.